Question One of the GPU fans is spinning up and down at idle ?

Apr 7, 2023
Hi, all I recently purchased an RTX 3070 Eagle OC, and performance wise there have been no problems, however, I have noticed that occasionally the fan closest to the GPU bracket on the GPU will spin up and down repeatedly, almost like it was boot cycling, which creates an annoying noise. I have no idea why this is happening or what would cause it. Let me know if anyone has had a similar issue and knows what to do. Thank you.

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Use Task Manager and Resource Monitor to observe system performance. Use both tools but only one tool at a time.

Just open the tool window and see what changes, if anything, when the GPU fan spins up and down.

Process Explorer (Microsoft, free) might also help find a potential culprit.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

Another possibility is the overall arrangement of fans and resulting airflows. Similar to what can happen with an inappropriately sized room window air conditioner. Cycles on and off.

Too much airflow GPU cools down quickly. Fan spins down, then all again gets too hot quickly. Fan spins up again.

Etc., etc., cycling.....

Take some photographs of the case and fans., Post here via imgur (www.imgur.com).

Show the current airflows with respect to fans (intake, exhaust).

Someone may spot something amiss.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Apr 7, 2023
The card is definitely not overheating, the case has lots of airflow. it's a new card, about a month old. I haven't seen any reports of similar issues

my pc specs are

cpu: r5 7600x
RAM: Kingston fury ddr5 5200mhz
CPU cooler: Thermaltake peerless assassin
GPU: gigabyte rtx 3070 eagle OC
PSU: rm850e corsair
case: Antec dp503
SSD: Crucial p3 plus 1tb
mobo: b650m gaming x ax gigabyte

Nothing I've tried seems to have had any effect

this is what the issue looks like:
View: https://youtube.com/shorts/i9Z25gqqgXE?feature=share

this is what HWINFO displays while its occurring:
View: https://youtube.com/shorts/yMPtLuIElo4?feature=share

niszczyciel502

Reputable
Feb 11, 2019
So I think I have same or very similar issue. I have the same card. I used CPUID HWMonitor I write it on phone so can't send the picture of HWMonitor. So when GPU hits 50.5 and Hotspot 63 it makes all fans spin, it reports 1400 RPM. And it stops, starts and stops. It's annoying tbh. It cools down GPU to 49 and Hotspot to 61. Then it stops completely. Until in one minute it goes back to 50,5 and 63... However now it managed to make last fan spin just like in your video(nonstop tho). It does not tell the fan speed(I can see only 2 fans in HWMonitor while GPU got 3 fans so I believe that third fan doesn't show speed anywhere which explains why you don't see it in HWINFO). I would rather prefer it to stay with that third fan on low speed since I can barely hear it than have the all 3 fans spin to 1400 randomly. I disabled all case fans because they are kinda bad, and at lowest possible speed they were kinda loud. They turn on when CPU gets to over 60 degrees. When last fan spins(but I can't tell the actual RPM) it's the loudest thing that goes out of PC but still super silent, the temp stays at GPU 49 and Hotspot 61. I assume we need to lower GPU temps by undervolting or something, or configure the fans to keep spinning on very low speed.