Question One of the parts died, how do I figure out which one? (Pc wont start, no video input, no beep)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 5, 2020
My pc has been running fine for about 4 years, a week ago I switched it on and it wouldnt start up, I get ‘no video input’ on the screen and I dont get any beep either but the fans and lights do start up.

The same happens when I take all the ram out or when I put a new one in, I tried resetting the cmos as well.

I’m guessing its either a mobo or psu problem, what are some things I could try doing to be sure which part is the problem?

You can try one RAM stick at a time installed as it involves no new parts, but, most folks start with a known good PSU when troubleshooting a 'rig won't power on' scenario. (if/when changing a PSU, be sure to swap all modular cables with it, as they are rarely interchangeable due to different pinouts at the PSU's insertion points, and this can be quite disastrous to skip!)

Reactions: CK-98
Cant it still be a psu problem in this scenario or is that unlikely?
If the lights light and fans spin it's less likely (though nothing is impossible) that the PSU is the proximate cause. However, if you have a compatible spare handy you can start with that. Just keep in mind that modular PSU cables are NOT universal and must be swapped out as well when doing this.

Aug 5, 2020
Please list full specs of your pc. Include PSU model name also.

Does your motherboard have pc speaker/beeper connected. Without it, you will not hear any beeps.
Psu corsair hx520w (been running for over 10 years)
Mobo asus m5a97 r2.0
Gpu amd radeon r9 270x
Ram 8gb ddr3
Cpu amd fx 6300

Yes it does, used to work fine but then something died

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
That PSU is definitely on the suspect list. At 10 years old it's nowhere near able to deliver power as efficiently as when new.
I second that to my above moderator guru... 10 years old is a long time to abuse the PSU; turning it off and on or computer crashing and just multiple power ons and offs plus the longevity as capacitors can tend to degrade. I really don't think your motherboard died or CPU for that matter. Your video card is good to so as the above Mr. ex_bubblehead said the PSU is very suspect. For example most PSU makers have a 3 year warranty some 2 years and some 5 years. A quality PSU will have a very extended warranty like 10 years that usually being Corsair and their high end models. This is why no one should ever cheap out on a PSU grabbing a 500w bronze with low ampage on the 12v rail. Grab a new PSU and if your money tight I recommend a EVGA PSU. Even a EVGA bronze rating 550w will suffice. Good Luck ;)

Aug 5, 2020
Thanks for the replies everyone, i’ll buy a new psu and see if that fixes it

When looking into buying a psu, is compatibility important or can I buy any psu as long as the wattage is enough?

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
Thanks for the replies everyone, i’ll buy a new psu and see if that fixes it

When looking into buying a psu, is compatibility important or can I buy any psu as long as the wattage is enough?
A PSU wattage doesn't determine everything. You also want good ampage on the 12v rail. The lower the wattage and cheaper the PSU the amps delivered will be lower possibly causing issues with newer video cards. Just grab a EVGA Bronze rating 550watts at minimum and you should be fine and good to go.

Aug 5, 2020
So I bought a new psu but same problem; system powers on but no beep/no video input
If different ram or psu doesnt work its probably a broken motherboard or cpu I assume right?

Status
Not open for further replies.