[SOLVED] One of those help me maximize a build threads

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Have a need to purchase at least (2) EDIT- office build systems within the next couple weeks, along this line. I am not "in love" with the parts selections, just based on best pricing through a local retailer Microcenter as well as some parts I know have good reputation. Must be complete with KB/M/M2x, storage not critical that it be larger than 500GB but SSD is required. Full setup, no flashy stuff, and no particular need for GPU so long as it will support 2x monitors by way of HDMI or DVI-D. No particular need of WiFi built in, so far as I am aware of yet.

R5 3400G $129.99 (EDIT-Alternate i3 10100 $99.99)

MSI B450 Tomahawk Max ATX $104.99 (ASUS B460 Prime (M) $99.99)

G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB (2x16) 3200 $113.99

Thermaltake V100 ATX case $49.99

Gigabyte P450B ATX PSU $49.99 (absolutely not a confidence booster, price driven)

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB 2.5 SSD $49.99

(2x) LG 24MK400H-B monitors $89.99(ea)

Logitech MK120 KB/M $19.99

DVI-D adapter $7.99

Right at $750 (or ~$715 Intel i3) with tax and no OS. I need to add $20 for gas and that's not including my time to go get it, or possible purchase limits of one item. So, all in probably something like $900 a build all in, cables and OS plus some gas.

How can I beat this with comparable performance, and no drive across town?

Last edited:
Solution
Here's a decent part list (In my opinion) - https://pcpartpicker.com/user/WilliamLu/saved/#view=cjLnt6

I went with Intel. Although most will say "oh its a bad value", but seeing as we are only going for integrated graphics, I think that most people would agree that Intel still dishes out the best performance with their igpus. Also included is a 240mm aio so you can overclock you cpu especially with the Z390 mainboard. I'm not sure how much you would actually like to do it, but it's still definitely a choice.

The psu is better, but I had to go over budget for it, I hope thats fine.

Flamebrander

Reputable
Aug 1, 2020
Here's a decent part list (In my opinion) - https://pcpartpicker.com/user/WilliamLu/saved/#view=cjLnt6

I went with Intel. Although most will say "oh its a bad value", but seeing as we are only going for integrated graphics, I think that most people would agree that Intel still dishes out the best performance with their igpus. Also included is a 240mm aio so you can overclock you cpu especially with the Z390 mainboard. I'm not sure how much you would actually like to do it, but it's still definitely a choice.

Reactions: punkncat
Solution

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador

I appreciate you taking your time to build the list, and appreciate some of the suggestions. Don't think I need a chip quite that powerful and certainly won't need an AIO or any type of lighting for these.
As a side note to mention to you...the Phanteks case you list is a great one to build in, but I highly suggest the "A" series of this case for the mesh front. I bought that case and later bought the front to help with cooling my current rig.

I came across a video last night and am going to revise my list tonight for an i3 build. The 10th gen are 4c/8t now and worth looking at for this use case.

Flamebrander

Reputable
Aug 1, 2020
I appreciate you taking your time to build the list, and appreciate some of the suggestions. Don't think I need a chip quite that powerful and certainly won't need an AIO or any type of lighting for these.
As a side note to mention to you...the Phanteks case you list is a great one to build in, but I highly suggest the "A" series of this case for the mesh front. I bought that case and later bought the front to help with cooling my current rig.

I came across a video last night and am going to revise my list tonight for an i3 build. The 10th gen are 4c/8t now and worth looking at for this use case.

Ok, well good to know then

logainofhades

Titan
Why 32gb ram?

AMD has been ahead of Intel, IGP wise, for several years now. That might change with 11th gen, next year, but nothing you can currently buy.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
In case anyone is "following along" or recalls.

Our owner decided, along with our advice, that an operations office near our workshop was needed at least a few days a week in order to help direct, educate, and streamline some of the interaction between our techs and ourselves here in the office. The location this shop is in will have room for two desks, has room for storage and a small workshop. I will be installing a burg system and cameras, but just the same isn't going to be SUPER secure. Anyone in the security industry can tell you that burg equipment is great for letting you know your stuff is gone, lol.

With that said, the owner isn't going to spring for the powerful equipment we have at home. We don't want to work from potatoes and add that frustration back to our work day. I am wanting to find a balance between a new and mildly powerful machine that wouldn't be frustrating to use but also wouldn't break the bank if they walked off.
I had considered doing a virtual machine host under lockup, but the logistics and learning curve (for myself) are too much to deal with on top of the move in, and readying.

Flamebrander

Reputable
Aug 1, 2020
In case anyone is "following along" or recalls.

Our owner decided, along with our advice, that an operations office near our workshop was needed at least a few days a week in order to help direct, educate, and streamline some of the interaction between our techs and ourselves here in the office. The location this shop is in will have room for two desks, has room for storage and a small workshop. I will be installing a burg system and cameras, but just the same isn't going to be SUPER secure. Anyone in the security industry can tell you that burg equipment is great for letting you know your stuff is gone, lol.

With that said, the owner isn't going to spring for the powerful equipment we have at home. We don't want to work from potatoes and add that frustration back to our work day. I am wanting to find a balance between a new and mildly powerful machine that wouldn't be frustrating to use but also wouldn't break the bank if they walked off.
I had considered doing a virtual machine host under lockup, but the logistics and learning curve (for myself) are too much to deal with on top of the move in, and readying.

Yeah so just go with my pc. Swap out the aio cooler with something like a hyper 212, and you should be set. It's powerful, but reasonable.

Reactions: punkncat