One of two front USB stopped working

Anubrata Khan

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2014
Hi! I just noticed that one of my front usb 3.0 port died but the port right next to it is perfectly working.There's no physical damage on the port itself as I always handle my stuff gently.I checked the connector on the mobo too but it looked fine and didn't fix the problem.I have plugged other usb devices to make sure that there's nothing wrong with my device but none of them worked which means that there's something wrong with the port itself. Can't figure out what's wrong as a month back it was working flawlessly.Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

My Case - Coolermaster N500
Mobo - Gigabyte B75M D3H

Solution

slyverine

Reputable
Mar 4, 2016
hmmm try reseating the cable.Also try a driver update or downgrade , maybe windows installed a new driver themselves?Is it is windows 10? Last resort a BIOS update. If nothing works then somehow your port died.

Anubrata Khan

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2014

I figured it out :D Turns out that a couple of pins got broken on the front USB socket on the mobo. This must have happened when I upgraded my GPU recently and had to unplug some cables to reroute and mange them to make room for the huge GPU. I remember having trouble plugging in the connector and using force.After posting the question here, I unplugged the connector and took a close look at the socket with a flashlight and that's when I noticed that two consecutive pins from each row were missing and bent. So that explains why one of the ports isn't working.Will have to do with one port now :(

If they're just bent you can try to straight them up. If some are missing however ...

Solution