Question One of two monitors turns off when GPU driver is installed, both work fine without GPU driver

Jun 12, 2019
I have an AMD R9 290x card and two pretty old Samsung monitors (B2230 and SA200), both are connected directly to the GPU via DVI cables. This setup has been working without issues for multiple years.

Earlier today I left my PC running for a while while I left, came back and noticed that one of my screens was black (the B2230). As far as I can tell there were no automatic updates during that time.

The other monitor (SA200) works no matter what. The troubled one works in safe mode, while booting, while going through my BIOS etc. - but it goes black instantly when the AMD driver gets involved, playing the typical Windows "Device disconnected"-sound. When I don't have a driver installed both monitors work perfectly fine but both just show the same thing. I tried switching up the cables, putting the monitors in different ports (the GPU only has two DVI and HDMI ports each and the monitors each have one DVI and one VGA port, so I can only use DVI to plug them into the GPU). I tried a clean uninstall of anything AMD-related, tried installing the newest AMD driver, the version before that and another version from March or so which definitely used to work. When I don't have an AMD driver installed, my Device manager only detects the monitor that's giving me issues (B2230) even though both of them work, when I have an AMD driver installed it only detects one "Generic PnP monitor" and again, the B2230 stops working. My GPU gets recognized when I have an AMD driver installed.

I'm pretty lost here, all the people with similar issues on Google seem to fix their issues by reinstalling their GPU drivers or have a hardware issues, but my monitors work fine without AMD drivers, and I've tried multiple re-installs of my AMD driver.

Jun 12, 2019
Okay, pretty stupid follow up and possible solution; The monitor that's giving me trouble DOES have an HDMI port, so I hooked it up to my GPU via HDMI, restarted my PC and now it's working. I'll order another DVI cable and see if the cable doesn't work with that specific monitor, because it DOES work with my other monitor. Really weird all around.

EDIT: Yeah, a friend borrowed me a DVI cable, I guess the port on my monitor is broken. What a stupidly simple solution.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS