One partition of the HDD is having problems

poharan

Prominent
Jan 28, 2018
Hello,

I'm having some major issues with one partition on my HDD. This drive basically can't be used at all.

- I'm unable to properly copy/delete/rename anything on this drive (D: ), because it'll result in the operation hanging indefinitely (in task manager, active time 100%, read/write 0kbps)
- This drive for some reason is not connected to recycle bin, attempting to delete anything results in "are you sure you want to permanently delete this item"
- There are no issues with windows explorer at least accessing and displaying the names of the files though
- There are no issues with the system drive on this HDD (C: )

Tried:

- Restart doesn't help
- Right click drive -> tools -> scan drive for errors. It takes a long time to even open for the properties window for this drive. This results in Windows failing to scan the drive with error "there was a problem scanning this drive", likely because the read/write speed is still 0kbps
- Re-installing Windows 10 with the Windows Media Creation Tool didn't help
- Tried using the "EaseUS partition master" software to scan the drive, it found 3 bad sectors and managed to get to about 95% done scanning before the app simply froze

I'm using a Lenovo Ideapad laptop with Windows 10, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD.

Can this HDD be saved? Do I need to format D: drive or something?

Solution
Sounds like a hard drive crash to me.

Back up anything you care about immediately.

THEN try anything else.

I've had a hard drive crash and only certain files were affected. I couldn't access them without the drive hanging the system. Later I pulled the hard drive from the computer and physically opened it (this destroys the drive, but there are cool shiny glass platters in there and some small magnets...)

The physical surface of the disk was perfectly smooth except a single circle where the head had physically hit the platter and etched a groove.

Hard drives fail. Back up early. Back up often. Back up multiple places.

Now is a really good time to replace that hard drive with an SSD.

Good luck!

Since C: seems to be working and it's on the same physical drive, it's an open question whether the issue is hardware (the drive) or software (a badly corrupted filesystem).

You can use Seagate Seatools to run diagnostic scans on that drive (the long test will take hours, but you can run a quick DST or quick generic first).

If the drive is OK, formatting D: would be the most likely solution.

topheron

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Sounds like a hard drive crash to me.

Back up anything you care about immediately.

THEN try anything else.

I've had a hard drive crash and only certain files were affected. I couldn't access them without the drive hanging the system. Later I pulled the hard drive from the computer and physically opened it (this destroys the drive, but there are cool shiny glass platters in there and some small magnets...)

The physical surface of the disk was perfectly smooth except a single circle where the head had physically hit the platter and etched a groove.

Hard drives fail. Back up early. Back up often. Back up multiple places.

Now is a really good time to replace that hard drive with an SSD.

Good luck!

Solution