One PC two monitors

Dec 3, 2014
In my livingroom there is a little PC, and I was wondering if there is a way for me to use my gaming PC (which is in another room) from it, maybe over my LAN. Is it possible?

Xivilain

Reputable
Apr 16, 2014
There are tons of options here for connecting to another PC, so knowing exactly what you want, will require a little more knowledge about what you want to do:

Assumption: You're using Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8/8.1 on both PCs

1) Do you want to open Files?
With Windows this is very easy to setup. You can create a HomeGroup or add files to a Public folder so anyone on your LAN network can see them: See this Microsoft link here.

2) Are you trying to control the gaming PC remotely?
Again, with Windows this is possible. Push START -> Run... and type "msra.exe" or you can start typing "msra" on Windows 7 and newer and it searches for you. MSRA is a Remote Assistance app that guides you through how you can establish a connection between two computers. This article should help you do this.

3) Do you want to do Game/Movie streaming?
This will be trickier, if you don't use option #2. But its possible with 3rd party software, (most likely not free). I know that NVIDIA and Steam both are developing/or have developed, streaming software, but I'm not sure about those, since I haven't used them. If you're interested in NVIDIA's solution its here, and Steam's solution is here.

Hope this helps! :D

hang-the-9

Titan
Remote desktop is not very good for gaming, there is quite a bit of lag in the video display even over a local network.

You can still connect to it easily and likely start and play a game, it will just have slower reaction.

Dec 3, 2014

Yes, it helps, thanks! I'd use it for gaming, and Steam solution seems really good because I could put Linux on my lower-end PC. Do you know if there is a way to play other games, like Battlefield too? I think that it only works with Steam games.
Or maybe I could use option #2: is there any big lag with it?

Xivilain

Reputable
Apr 16, 2014

There most likely will be lots of lag for gaming. It might be useless to play through MSRA, but you can try. Heres a forum where others have streamed BF4.

Anything is possible now-a-days!

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS