[SOLVED] One pc wrecks network ping

Mar 23, 2019
i have a problem with one pc i connect to my home network. When it is not connected the ping on the network is about 25-60 but when i connect this certain pc the ping goes over 2,000. Unplug it and it goes back to normal. Even when i plug a usb wifi adapter into the same computer it takes the ping sky high again.
I plugged a laptop into this cable (just in case it was that) and the network works fine still. I have done virus scans, malware etc on this pc and done a network reset, but still this problem occurs. Could the old pc network card (which i think is integrated be the problem , but why would this effect the usb connector ?)
Any help would be very much appreciated, as i have 2 teenage sons and they are driving me insane......lol

I have a main router with 3 out lan cable;
Cable one goes to a 4 switch for 2 office pc's,(and an xbox one and pc in sons bedroom)
Cable two goes to rougue pc
Cable 3 goes to an 8 switch in lounge for another xbox one, tv, blu ray, wifi extender.

Solution
My thought is that there is a duplicate IP address in your network or some network misconfiguration with respect to the computer's network adapter.

Ensure that only one network adapter is enabled on the problem pc. I.e., only one adapter (integrated, PCIx, USB, wireless) is being used.

Update the desired network adapter's drivers. Download via the manufacturer's website, reinstall, and reconfigure for your network.

Failing that then on the computer in question run "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the Command prompt and post the results.

Also use the router admin screens to discover the IP addresses being used by all network devices.

Lutfij

Titan
Make and model of your router? Do you have any firmware updates pending on the router? Make and model of your switch? Have you made sure that the BIOS on your desktop is up to date? Speaking of desktop, list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Ralston18

Titan
My thought is that there is a duplicate IP address in your network or some network misconfiguration with respect to the computer's network adapter.

Ensure that only one network adapter is enabled on the problem pc. I.e., only one adapter (integrated, PCIx, USB, wireless) is being used.

Update the desired network adapter's drivers. Download via the manufacturer's website, reinstall, and reconfigure for your network.

Failing that then on the computer in question run "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the Command prompt and post the results.

Also use the router admin screens to discover the IP addresses being used by all network devices.

Solution

kanewolf

Titan

I would have agreed with the duplicate IP address IF the OP hadn't said that a USB WIFI adapter had the same behavior.