Question One piece at a time: Motherboard

Elkattio

Reputable
May 27, 2016
I'm going to start the upgrade process. Nothing on my current PC besides maybe the HDD and case can be migrated to the new one, and I'm not certain I even want to do that. I'm going to start with the motherboard. Is this a good place to start, or would you suggest something better?

https://www.amazon.com/MSI-X470GPLUS-Performance-Graphics-Motherboard/dp/B07CF31C1Q/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=ryzen+motherboard&qid=1563208344&s=gateway&sr=8-4

I plan on playing games such as Elder Scrolls 6 when it is released, but more importantly, I edit YouTube videos all the time. I want something that will be able to handle both processes. I'm by no means a genius when it comes to this stuff, so please, dumb it down for me.

By the time I'm finished, I want something high end that I won't have to worry about upgrading again for a few years.

A compatible motherboard is not going to hamper or increase performance, just need to decide on features built in them. I question value of buying a piece at a time like that, better to save money and buy all when ready. First, your warranty is going away with every day it spends on a shelf. Prices for earlier models are going to be lower as time passes by or you may find a bundle with CPU and /or memory for less on a sale.

Elkattio

Reputable
May 27, 2016
When I say one piece at a time, I mean monthly. I'd like to have the components for the new system in a few months. I wanted to start with something that I knew would be viable for the long haul - motherboard - and focus on the more critical components - cpu, gpu - toward the end.

USAFRet

Titan
Mar 16, 2013
Buying parts over time for a full upgrade is a bad idea.

Put the monthly 'upgrade' money in an envelope in a desk drawer.
When you have enough for the whole new system, buy the best parts you can on that day.

Prices change and drop all the time. What is $200 today might be $150 in a few months.

Reactions: CountMike

Elkattio

Reputable
May 27, 2016
I can respect that. With that being said, I'm compiling a list of components that need to be purchased. When it comes to the motherboard, I'm at a bit of a standstill. Do I wait for the x570 and grab the Ryzen 7 3700 to go with it, or is there really going to be that much of a difference in 2nd and 3rd gen Ryzen beyond price? I doubt that I'll ever be able to afford Ryzen 9 or Threadripper.

ASK THE COMMUNITY