Question One POST, followed by consistent CPU errors

May 15, 2022
Hi! I was running the POST for my first pc build, and on the first startup around everything worked beautifully, with the exception of my graphics card, which was not plugged in. Obviously, I ran a power cable from it to the power supply and reattempted a start. Now, the red CPU error LED on the motherboard consistently lights up, and the CPU fans do not run. I have checked all of my power cable connections to both the motherboard and the power supply, tried an 8 pin and 2 4 pin power connectors, unplugged and double checked the CPU fan plug, reseated the graphics card, reseated the RAM sticks and tried booting without them (the yellow RAM error LED came on until I reinserted them, and then the red CPR error LED came back on), checked and redid the thermal paste, checked the CPU for bent pins and reinstalled it, and reseated the CPU cooler. I also tried running the post without the graphics card installed at all, and received the same CPU error light. The motherboard is not installed in the case and is resting on top of the box it came in, and I ground myself often on the power supply. What else should I try? I'm so confused as to why it worked only once. Thanks so much!

DSzymborski

Titan
I'm especially concerned by references such as "tried an 8 pin and 2 4 pin power connectors." There shouldn't be different kinds of CPU connectors; they're almost always 4+4 or, among older cheaper PSUs, just the 4. If you're mixing and matching PSU cables, then very bad things may have happened.

But as ThatVietGuy noted, we need complete, detailed specs. Diagnosing a PC remotely requires no less information than in person and we know precisely nothing about your PC.

May 15, 2022
Yes, sorry about that. Here’s my build:

CPU: Core i5-12400F 2.5 GHz
Cooler: DeepCool Gammaxx 400
MB: MSI Pro B660M-A DDR4 Micro ATX LGA1700
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12 GB Gaming OC REV 2.0
RAM: 32 GB (2x16) Team T-Force Delta RGB DDR4 3200 CL18
SSD: Team Group MP33 PRO M.2 1 TB PCIe 3.0x4 NVMe
HDD: WD Blue 4 TB 3.5” 5400RPM
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P360A Mid Tower
PSU: Cooler Master V Gold V2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX
Case Fans: 3x DeepCool FC120 61.91 CFM 120mm (2 for cooler, 1 for case)

Let me know if you any other details, and thanks for your help!