Distinguished
Oct 7, 2007
Here's the deal.

Tower computer
Water cooled
Asus Rampage III extreme motherboard
NOT overclocked
Basic fanless GPU

My AX860 Corsair power supply seemed like it was failing. First I thought my water pump was failing as it wouldn't spin up after shutdown. So replaced it. Probably wasn't necessary. Then my hard drives started disappearing. So I replaced it with another backup unit I have and it's been working since. (knock on wood).

So Corsair send me a reconditioned unit.

I installed it fully and stupidly without testing. Lights on the motherboard would turn on, no fans would spin up. No fans on the PSU or motherboard. Not even an initial check spin of the PSU. The water pump nothing. Not the least amount of turning of the PSU fan even on first turn on of the unit.

Reset CMOS and all kinds of stuff. No joy.

Put the other PSU back in and everything is fine.

Use the paperclip test and the fan on the Corsair spins.

Put it back in the unit, and just hook up the 24 pin MB and the 6 pin like the backup unit. No joy.

Any thoughts on what's going on here? Possible I got a bad reconditioned unit? The pin test is throwing me off.

jriker1

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2007
Was the replacement PSU also an AX860? Same generation?

Yep, plug in replacement same model. Not an AX860i but the same as mine an AX860. I even tried their wires but no joy in case something went bad with mine. Right now I put my backup power supply into the unit permanently as no idea what Corsair is going to do and can't sit on this forever but still wondering why this is working the way it is or not working.