[SOLVED] One problem after another with new build - USB overcurrent and now not POSTing

gerbillover

Honorable
Apr 13, 2017
Writing on my phone so sorry for sloppiness. Also complete pc building newbie so forgive any horrific mistake I may have made.

Built my first ever pc build this week. Specs, as much as I can remember, are a Ryzen 5800x, MSI mpg x570 motherboard, Rtx 3080, 4000d airflow case, noctua CPU cooler, 16gb of ddr4 ram, and a 850w PSU.

Turned it all on and it didn't work. Whoops! I'd incorrectly plugged in the front panel header. After solving that I had a working system. I had one or two occasional 'usb power surge' notifications within windows, but brushed them off because none of my devices malfunctioned and there were no signs of damage.

Until yesterday. Two days after finishing this build, I woke up to find to my dismay that the pc would not boot. The pc successfully posted and then gave the following error:

'Overcurrent detected on your USB device. System will shut down in 15 seconds to protect main board!'

It kept doing this. I have tried unplugging all of my usb devices. No luck. I have also tried unplugging the case usbs from the motherboard. I have inspected all usbs and found no signs of debris or bent pins, and I have been unable to find signs of a short inside the case.

I then decided to try reflashing the bios via the flash bios button and usb on my case. I downloaded the latest bios for the x570 from MSI and flashed it. No change, the system still powered off citing a usb overcurrent.

As I purchased all of these parts under a week ago, I am fairly confident that none of them should be faulty. The computer worked and ran flawlessly for the first two days of usage.

I also tried checking each usb port using my phone charger, and found that 3 usbs all close together on the back do not function properly, though they did when the pc was working.

I did some research and heard about usb compatibility issues between the Ryzen 5000s and the x570, and downloaded the MSI bios version provided by AMD containing supposed fixes to that issue.

After flashing this bios, the computer does not post. The power button does nothing. I have tried reflashing to the updated, original bios again but to no avail. I have checked the motherboard and power switches inside and can also confirm that my plugs and plug socket are not faulty. I have tried removing and reseating the CMOS battery too, and for clarity's sake have tried removing ram, GPU, and my cooler. None of these had any tangible effect.

I'm at a complete loss at this point. I've saved for this computer for 2 years and it's a real shame to see it refusing to work with me. I dread the thought of having to take it apart again and wait 3 weeks for a motherboard rma, which may not even fix the issue. Does anyone have any advice, solutions, criticisms, anything to help me realise what is going wrong?

Solution
AT the point where it was shutting down to protect the mainboard, I would disconnect front panel USB headers (if present) and all USB devices except for the keyboard and see if the message is gone. Playing with the bios was a bad idea in the first place, now, suspecting bad flash, I would RMA the mainboard or recover with an external tool. It could be the way you installed the mainboard into the case, with the mainboard touching the chassis in the wrong spot too...
AT the point where it was shutting down to protect the mainboard, I would disconnect front panel USB headers (if present) and all USB devices except for the keyboard and see if the message is gone. Playing with the bios was a bad idea in the first place, now, suspecting bad flash, I would RMA the mainboard or recover with an external tool. It could be the way you installed the mainboard into the case, with the mainboard touching the chassis in the wrong spot too...

Solution