Question One RAM stick work... Two wont!

Sep 23, 2020
Hi!

Hardware list:
Ryzen 3 3200g
AsRock B450 Steel Legend
G. Skill Ripjaws V series 2x8gb 3600

I just build my first PC. But I can't use both RAM sticks at a time because I get Stop code screen (Blue screen of death) and the PC restarts. I tested both sticks individually and both works with no problem. Right now I am using one stick and I can do gaming and use the PC with no issues.

What I've tried:

1. Update BIOS... Doesn't work
  2. Use different slot configuration: 2 & 4 (Default) or 1 & 3... Doesn't work
  3. Load XMP profile to match advertised frequency... Doesn't work
BTW... When I change the XMP and reboot I still getting the default 2133Hz although the xmp profile still loaded. When I check in CPU-Z the frequency is at 1064.5 Hz

Could it be a compatibility issue?
Should I tweak the voltage?

lutherwaffles

Honorable
Jun 1, 2015
Hey mate - typically you must slot these not next to each other if that is how you are currently doing it.

Most modern motherboards have 4 slots: 1 and 3 are registered by the computer as a pair, and 2 and 4 are registered as a pair.

If you place then in 1 and 2 or 3 and 4, it will not work as designed.

If you have them in 1 and 3 or 2 and 4 and it still isn't registering, I might consider speaking to the manufacturer. They should be pretty intuitive/plug&play.

Best,
Luth

Sep 23, 2020
Hey mate - typically you must slot these not next to each other if that is how you are currently doing it.

Most modern motherboards have 4 slots: 1 and 3 are registered by the computer as a pair, and 2 and 4 are registered as a pair.

If you place then in 1 and 2 or 3 and 4, it will not work as designed.

If you have them in 1 and 3 or 2 and 4 and it still isn't registering, I might consider speaking to the manufacturer. They should be pretty intuitive/plug&play.

Best,
Luth
Thanks for the reply! Yes I am using slots 2 & 4 as the MoBo specifications indicate. For testing I use 1 & 3 to see if something change.

Sep 23, 2020
I am trying to run the Mentest86. I download the file, extracted it, run the imageUSB.exe and all seen the right but when I try to boot it (Pressing F6 for instant Flash) I get the message No image file detected.

I am trying to run the Mentest86. I download the file, extracted it, run the imageUSB.exe and all seen the right but when I try to boot it (Pressing F6 for instant Flash) I get the message No image file detected.

Well that's because you're trying to run the BIOS flashing tool to boot a USB DRIVE.
Instant flash is used for updating a BIOS and has nothing to do with bootable USB drives. That's just searching for a BIOS update file on your USB and it's not finding it, hence the error.

To boot from your USB you need to change the BOOT priority in your BIOS(get your USB drive first in the order) or just press F8/F11 at the POST screen to enter into the BOOT menu and select your USB drive from there.

Sep 23, 2020
Well that's because you're trying to run the BIOS flashing tool to boot a USB DRIVE.
Instant flash is used for updating a BIOS and has nothing to do with bootable USB drives. That's just searching for a BIOS update file on your USB and it's not finding it, hence the error.

To boot from your USB you need to change the BOOT priority in your BIOS(get your USB drive first in the order) or just press F8/F11 at the POST screen to enter into the BOOT menu and select your USB drive from there.
Oooohhh! Thanks and sorry for been such a noob.

Sep 23, 2020
OK! I made the Memtest86 and here are the results:

Test1: Both ram sticks on slots 2 & 4
Errors messages at the moment the test started.

Test 2: Stick # 1 on slot 2
No errors after 3 passes

Test 3: Stick # 2 stick on slot 2
No errors after 3 passes

Test 4: Stick # 2 on slot 4
No errors after 1 pass

Test 5: Both ram sticks on slots 3 & 4 (As recommended by G Skill tech support)

Does this mean that both stick are good?
Could it be a MoBo problem or even CPU problem?

BTW... Sorry for my grammar. English is no my main language.

OK! I made the Memtest86 and here are the results:

Test1: Both ram sticks on slots 2 & 4

Test 2: Stick # 1 on slot 2
No errors after 3 passes

Test 3: Stick # 2 stick on slot 2
No errors after 3 passes

Test 4: Stick # 2 on slot 4
No errors after 1 pass

Test 5: Both ram sticks on slots 3 & 4 (As recommended by G Skill tech support)

Does this mean that both stick are good?
Could it be a MoBo problem or even CPU problem?

BTW... Sorry for my grammar. English is no my main language.

The CPU would be the problem if you somehow managed to bend pins on it... you should actually check it by taking it out before blaming on something else.

Now it will be harder to pick between the motherboard and RAM. Both can be the culprit... basically a toss-up.
-motherboard could have a problem in running the modules in dual channel.
-modules may have compatibility problems(even though they were a kit).

Going forward, the only solution would be to RMA either the RAM modules or motherboard and seeing if that solves the problem... if not, send the other in.