[SOLVED] One router, two houses, breaking connection

Apr 29, 2022
Hello,

Need help with the following:

There are two houses ("big" and "guest"), the distance between them is around 4 meters.

Wifi router is placed in the Big House. The signal strength in the Guest House is around -75 db according to my laptop. The connection is breaking, and ping sometimes is too big.

Currently, in the Guest House I'm using a router set up in the bridge mode and with two 3 dBi antennas, but it makes almost no difference if I'm connected to it or directly to the Big House.

Will it help if I replace bridge router antennas to 4 or 5 dBi? Or maybe I should buy a repeater? Is there any way to improve the reception of the signal?

Solution
Hello,

There are two houses ("big" and "guest"), the distance between them is around 4 meters.

Wifi router is placed in the Big House. The signal strength in the Guest House is around -75 db according to my laptop. The connection is breaking, and ping sometimes is too big.

Currently, in the Guest House I'm using a router set up in the bridge mode and with two 3 dBi antennas, but it makes almost no difference if I'm connected to it or directly to the Big House.

Will it help if I replace bridge router antennas to 4 or 5 dBi? Or maybe I should buy a repeater? Is there any way to improve the reception of the signal?
You could buy hardware that is designed to do what you are doing. That would...

kanewolf

Titan
Hello,

You could buy hardware that is designed to do what you are doing. That would mean a pair of devices, mounted on the outside of the two buildings. The network is brought inside with an ethernet cable. Or you could just bury an ethernet cable between the two buildings. It only needs to be a few inches under the surface. A straight shovel can create enough of a trench to bury direct-burial ethernet cable.

Reactions: MatteoVer
Solution
Does the guest house have it's own electrical power utility circuit breaker? Or does it have a sub-panel which routes to the main panel in the main house? You could use powerline adapters in the latter scenario.

Likewise, if the guest house has coaxial tv cable running from the main house.