Question One stick of 16gb RAM but BIOS only showing 8gb RAM

Oct 6, 2019
Hi all,

I have an ASUS G501VW (few years old now) that came with a single stick of 8gb RAM installed. I wanted to see if installing some more RAM could speed up the process.

I have installed a single (as there is only a single slot) 16GB DDR4 RAM stick however the BIOS is still only showing 8gb of RAM installed. CPU-Z Iis recognising the ram stick as a 16gb RAM.

My question is do I have to do something to get the computer recognising the RAM as 16gb?

I have:
  1. Updated the BIOS
  2. Checked that the motherboard can handle 16GB (before buying the new RAM

I am assuming it's not a problem with the RAM stick because my computer is still working with it installed and only one can be installed!

Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

Oct 6, 2019
Hi Boju, all the BIOS states is 8192mb memory - ie. doesn't distinguish anything about slots and there is no way for me get into CPU Configuration in the BIOS (I've tried all manner of shortcuts and special keys etc with no luck).

Before I decided to upgrade my RAM Windows said I had 8gb available so thought going up to 16gb would help. But now I've booted my computer without anything in the SODIMM slots and computer still says 8gb so I'm thinking that's what's soldered on and the original 8GB stick was never registering!). Both my original 8gb stick of RAM and my new 16gb stick of RAM register in CPU-Z.

Windows states memory as 8gb (7.87 usable) and CPU-Z under the "Memory Tab' states 16b (but I have the 16GB stick in so technically the amount of RAM I have in is 24GB.

Thanks for any help,
Go Cats

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah this is weird. Been looking around for any information regarding memory upgrades for this machine and haven't found much in regards to issues. What's confusing is CPUz is detecting both ram and only half the 16GB. It would appear the ram is properly seated but may not be. Check memory is seated all the way in the dimm slot and try restore defaults in the bios under category save & exit.

TRENDING THREADS