One stick of 4GB RAM now appears to be only 2GB

CoreKeys

Honorable
Feb 24, 2013
First off-I already assume that this chip is dead out of the set-I just want to be sure before I make the long trip back to return it.

I was doing some basic computer work involving mass data transfers between partitions when I suddenly had a BSoD and was unable to log into Windows. At first I assumed that one of my drives were dead after several failed attempts to repair/re-install the OS, which led to removing all RAM modules except for one; which happens to be the one I suspect is damaged. Whilst I only had that chip in the mobo, every installation of the OS was corrupt and returned an 'unexpected error' when I tried to log in. Eventually I swapped that stick with another from my 16GB kit (same DIMM slot) and everything installed and worked fine.

TL;DR: One of my 4096MB RAM modules now only appears to be 2048MB after a BSoD, is this likely due to it being damaged or is it some other anomaly? Nothing was overclocked; the memory was actually running under the rated 1866MHz since I hadn't adjusted the BIOS.

Specs:

ASUS P9X79 DELUXE Motherboard
Intel i7-3930k Processor
Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB Quad Channel Memory Kit (CMD16GX3M4A1866C9)