One stick of DDR4 not used by BIOS or Windows 7x64

Airplaneotaku

Reputable
Aug 8, 2016
Hello. (ASUS X370-pro, AM4) I have 2 sticks of Corsair Vengeance RGB 8GB 3200. Both are detected by BIOS, but it will tell me I only have 8GB and will only use one in Windows and BIOS.

Yes I RTFM, and the sticks are where they are supposed to be, in slots 1 and 3- I tested both individually and both work in the slot that seems to register as usable, both sticks' RGB lights up and syncs with ASUS Aura, and when I put them in different slots other than what the manual states the board fails to POST.

Against my better judgement I installed a BIOS update (thru the BIOS utility downloader) and the same problem persists.

I don't think it's a Win7/Ryzen compatibility issue as it states 8GB only in BIOS as well. I installed Ryzen chipset drivers to no avail either.

Any ideas from community?

ASUS X370-Pro RGB edition
AMD 1700X under Asetek AIO
MSI GTX 1070
"2"x8GB DDR4 3200, Corsair Vengeance RGB
240GB SanDisk SATA SSD
Win7x64 SP1
Enermax 1000W Gold 80+ PSU
CM Storm Trooper full tower

Solution
This is unlikely to be an "ASUS" issue. ASUS motherboards are of the highest possible quality in most cases, although ANY board can be faulty.

More likely, as is the case the majority of the time, this is a shipping issue OR a problem with resale of a previously used item. This happens a lot and there are pages of stories related to shipping damage on brand new motherboards as well as many warnings not to buy "refurbished" or "open box" items through Newegg, Amazon, Micro center, Fry's and others due to the high probability of potential problems. Often, they will "test" using a single stick of memory and no attached drives, just to see that the system can actually enter the bios and nothing further is done to "test" the system. If one...
Neither module works in one of the slots when used together, and neither module will work individually when only one module is used IN that particular slot?

I would RMA the board then because if the system will POST with both modules installed, but will not recognize either module in that second slot, it is far more likely to be a board issue than a voltage issue. You can try bumping the voltage .05v-1v on the memory voltage settings in the bios but I am doubtful that will help, as usually voltage issues will cause the system to not POST, rather than being able to POST and boot but simply not recognized.

Airplaneotaku

Reputable
Aug 8, 2016

Either stick will work individually in the one slot. From what I remember touching the voltage results in failure to POST.

If both modules work fine in one slot, but neither work in the other, I would contact the selling vendor or ASUS tech support and begin the RMA process. That is not normal DIMM slot behavior.

Also, there are NOT any DIMM slots 1 and 3 on that board. There are only slots A1, A2, B1 and B2. You MUST install the memory in slots A2 and B2 when using two modules on that board. These SHOULD be the gray slots, with A2 being the second over from the CPU and slot B2 being the one closest to the edge of the board.

Airplaneotaku

Reputable
Aug 8, 2016

As stated, I read the manual and the sticks are in A2/B2. (1&3 counting from the right going left.)
B2 doesn't seem to run despite the board detecting it.

This would be my second time replacing the board if I'm forced to return it, first one was DOA and second (micro center tested open box) gives me this.
I thought ASUS was a top of the line brand, too...

Any other ideas from anyone?

This is unlikely to be an "ASUS" issue. ASUS motherboards are of the highest possible quality in most cases, although ANY board can be faulty.

More likely, as is the case the majority of the time, this is a shipping issue OR a problem with resale of a previously used item. This happens a lot and there are pages of stories related to shipping damage on brand new motherboards as well as many warnings not to buy "refurbished" or "open box" items through Newegg, Amazon, Micro center, Fry's and others due to the high probability of potential problems. Often, they will "test" using a single stick of memory and no attached drives, just to see that the system can actually enter the bios and nothing further is done to "test" the system. If one of five of these returned items never finds it's way back to the store, it is a successful policy because generally either they or the manufacturer is simply out the cost of that board. So if one in five doesn't bother to return it, they can greatly reduce losses when you consider the hundreds and thousands of occasions when this happens.

I would return the board for a refund, explaining what the issue is. Then buy a new, unopened, unused board.

Solution

Airplaneotaku

Reputable
Aug 8, 2016

Yes, I'm planning to do so. My first board was DOA as I stated, which is an ASUS issue. I realize they probably tested with one stick to check for POST, but it sure as s*** beats not having a functioning computer as this one at least works in the most loose tense of the word.

Off to microcenter again on Friday, after exams are over.