[SOLVED] One stick of ram causing stuttering. Can I disable it from being used but keep the RGB on it?

Electonic

Honorable
Mar 10, 2014
Hi all!
I have 16gb (2x8) Corsair Vengance RGB 3000Mhz from ~2017, Gigabyte Gaming K5, and a Ryzen 3600. One RAM stick causes stuttering when in, one doesn't. As much as I appreciate troubleshooting tips, believe me when I say I've done my due diligence in testing this thing and trying to fix it.
My question is, can I disable this stick from being used in windows while keeping the RGB component active? I'd hate to have 3/4 slots populated (thinking of picking up 32 more gb here soon, though it'll be 3000mhz Trident Z) and ruin my aesthetic.

Thank you,
- Eric

Edit: I am completely down for physically altering the stick, whether that's soldering or a good ol saw

Last edited:
Solution
Running single channel will hurt performance and if gaming will cause stuttering in some games. I don’t believe you can switch off 1 stick of installed RAM. Finally adding RAM is not guaranteed to work without issues. RAM is only guaranteed to work in the matched kits it is sold. Your best option here is to sell your working DIMM and buy a matched 2x16gb or 2x32gb kit. Try and avoid 4 DIMM setups unless using a system that supports quad core, motherboard slots does not mean quad core and most consumer hardware is only dual channel. Running 4 DIMM increases the chances of issues running at higher speeds.
Running single channel will hurt performance and if gaming will cause stuttering in some games. I don’t believe you can switch off 1 stick of installed RAM. Finally adding RAM is not guaranteed to work without issues. RAM is only guaranteed to work in the matched kits it is sold. Your best option here is to sell your working DIMM and buy a matched 2x16gb or 2x32gb kit. Try and avoid 4 DIMM setups unless using a system that supports quad core, motherboard slots does not mean quad core and most consumer hardware is only dual channel. Running 4 DIMM increases the chances of issues running at higher speeds.

Solution

Electonic

Honorable
Mar 10, 2014
Thanks! I didn't realize there was a difference between 2xdual channel and 1xquad channel :)