Question One stick of RAM showing as "unknown" in the bios

Jul 18, 2023
System details -
Motherboard: Z790-a Pro
RAM: 2x16gb teamforce delta rgb 6400mhz 40CLS
CPU: i7-13700k

Everything was working great until this afternoon when one of the sticks no longer showed up as its specific RAM and is now displayed as "unknown" with double the memory size (32gb???). I'm pretty sure it isn't an issue with the motherboard because I tried the working ram stick in DIMM-A and DMM-B and it booted up no problem.

Switching the ram also showed the "unknown" stick in different slots in the bios, so at this point I think it's pointing to the RAM stick being defective.

I also reseated my CPU and didn't see any pins out of place... could check again just to be sure. Is there any other way to be certain that it isn't an issue with the CPU without getting new RAM?

Jul 18, 2023
One added detail, I don't have access to any other computers with DDR5 so I'm unable to test them in another system.

Misgar

Commendable
Mar 2, 2023
Are you overclocking the RAM at 6,400MT/s? If so disable XMP and see if the "bad" DIMM recovers.

If not, buy a new kit. Mixing old and new DIMMs can cause problems, especially when overclocked.

Jul 18, 2023
Thanks for the reply, the ram sticks were bought in a pack together (from the same company). I tried both with XMP enabled and disabled and neither worked. I'm getting a new kit on Wednesday so I'll update here if that's the solution.