one usb 3.0, eSATA and moving 5tb video from one external to another

May 6, 2018
How best to do this? I need to move (not copy) 4 gb video files from 5tb WD 3.0 ext. drive to 8tb Seagate 3.0 ext. drive. Both external drives have eSATA ports.
My laptop Dell E6430 120 gb SSD 7200 rpm internal drive running Win 7, has only one usb 3.0, several 2.0s, and a few eSATAs.

Which is faster and less wear on your system? (1) Move files in two steps, first move the files from the source usb 3.0 ext. drive to the laptop, and second, move the files from the laptop to the target usb 3.0 ext. drive, or (2) Move the files in one step from the source external drive to the second external drive, in which case you'd have to use one usb 2.0 external drive and one usb 3.0 external drive? Or maybe use eSATA?

If yes, does it make a difference whether the source drive is connected to the usb 2.0 or 3.0?

If the and the laptop has several eSATA ports, but only one 3.0 port, is there a configuration that might be better for the transfers than what's described above?

Thanks for reading this question and if you have any ideas, please let me know.

Solution
Whichever way you can do it to avoid USB 2.0...that's what you need to try.
eSATA and/or USB 3.0.

Connect both externals to the laptop, and copy from one to the other.

USAFRet

Titan
"wear" is irrelevant. Its just data, just like any other file.

USB 2.0.
Performance depends on the slowest device in the chain. If something in there is USB 2.0...that is as fast as the transfer will go.
Like having a Ferrari, on a street with a 25mph speed limit.

And "move (not copy)"...
No. You need to copy, verify it fully exists on the target location, then delete from the source.

May 6, 2018

I'm new to this forum and I'm trying to respond to USAFRet, not post a solution. Thanks, the copying to verify is a good point I'll definitely do.

What about the speed and what's the best configuration of the available options?

May 6, 2018

Thanks, will try!