One way network file sharing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bubblethegumkid

Honorable
Jun 22, 2013
My boyfriend and I are networked and file sharing on Win 8. However, I can access his shared files in their entirety but for some reason he can't access mine? We've been back and forth on it off and on for months now and neither of us can wrap our brain around what it might be. Driving me bonkers though to be honest lol

Solution
Are you using a homegroup in Windows 8? I've never used one for sharing, but that might work for you.

In Windows there are 2 places where file share permissions are specified: at the share level and at the file system level. You need to have adequate permissions at both at both levels to be able to share your files back and forth. In addition, a firewall or some other 3rd party software may be causing problems. Here is how to verify that the files are shared properly:

■ Browse to the folder you want to share. Right-click on it and select properties
    ■ On the Sharing tab, click the Share button
    ■ Here you have several options for permissions. You could just give the guest account read/write permissions, but that is not very secure...

rusabus

Distinguished
May 19, 2007
Are you using a homegroup in Windows 8? I've never used one for sharing, but that might work for you.

In Windows there are 2 places where file share permissions are specified: at the share level and at the file system level. You need to have adequate permissions at both at both levels to be able to share your files back and forth. In addition, a firewall or some other 3rd party software may be causing problems. Here is how to verify that the files are shared properly:

■ Browse to the folder you want to share. Right-click on it and select properties
    ■ On the Sharing tab, click the Share button
    ■ Here you have several options for permissions. You could just give the guest account read/write permissions, but that is not very secure. You could also create a user account on your computer with the same name and password that your boyfriend uses when he logs onto his computer and then grant that account read/write permissions. Generally it is a good practice to not be very restrictive at the share level and define all your security at the file system level. (A lot of people will grant "everyone" read/write permissions on this page and then get granular with the file system security.)
    ■ Once you have defined your share permissions, select the Security tab on the folder's properties. Make sure that the account your boyfriend will be using (either guest or an account you created on your computer) has adequate permissions to the folder (probably modify permissions is what you want. He doesn't need full control.)

That should be it for the file share. Now just check the firewall on your computer to make sure there is an exception enabled for File and Print sharing. If you are using the Windows firewall, you can configure it through Control Panel > System and Security > Windows Firewall. On this page, you'll be able to see what kind of network Windows thinks you are connected to (Domain, Public, or Private. Your home network should be considered a private network.) Take note of which type of network Windows thinks you are using and click on "Allow an app or feature through Windows Firewall." Look in the list for File and Printer Sharing and make sure it is enabled for your network type. (I wouldn't enable it for Public networks even if that is what Windows thinks you are currently using, because that would enable file sharing for any place you went.)

If you are using a 3rd-party firewall, you'll need to check if it is blocking file and print sharing.

Best regards,

--Russel

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS