Question One-year old GPU died, replacement is working, sort of ?

mzimmer5

Honorable
Apr 7, 2016
So while playing Ark the other day, computer went black and never came back. Case would boot but the monitor would just cycle back and forth between recognize the display port, then no signal and shut down, repeat. After a few basic troubleshooting steps, I identified the vid card as being shot. Cpu is under warranty so thankfully I have a new one in route. In the meantime, and initially for testing purposes I put an old video card in and boom system is up and running. I can watch YouTube’s and surf the internet, but, when I go to play ark, games loads then cpu restarts. Same with several other games, which the temp vid card played decently in another machine. Ram checks out fine. Cpu does fine with cinebench. I don’t get it…help!!

orig card is gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB GDDR6

Replaced temporarily with a amd rx 570. I did download the amd software and drivers.
I can load and play phasmophobia and don’t starve (just loaded to see if I could, did not actually play so I’m not sure if it would eventually fail?) Ark, Seven days to die, and Valheim has the computer restarting as soon as I get to the title screen.

So while playing Ark the other day, computer went black and never came back. Case would boot but the monitor would just cycle back and forth between recognize the display port, then no signal and shut down, repeat. After a few basic troubleshooting steps, I identified the vid card as being shot. Cpu is under warranty so thankfully I have a new one in route. In the meantime, and initially for testing purposes I put an old video card in and boom system is up and running. I can watch YouTube’s and surf the internet, but, when I go to play ark, games loads then cpu restarts. Same with several other games, which the temp vid card played decently in another machine. Ram checks out fine. Cpu does fine with cinebench. I don’t get it…help!!

orig card is gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB GDDR6

Replaced temporarily with a amd rx 570. I did download the amd software and drivers.
I can load and play phasmophobia and don’t starve (just loaded to see if I could, did not actually play so I’m not sure if it would eventually fail?) Ark, Seven days to die, and Valheim has the computer restarting as soon as I get to the title screen.
Did you use DDU to clean previous drivers ?

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran

DRagor

Illustrious
Two possibilities to consider:
  • PSU failure - restarts while gaming are often caused by PSU problems. It could be also the reason your 3070 has died.
  • rx 570 being just not enough for games you mentioned - I don't know what are their requirements but at least theoretically that behavior is possible (but definitely less then the above one).

faalin

Judicious
what are the full system specs of the computer?

Like DRagor said i would point a finger at the PSU, Both ARK and Valheim i know are very demanding. Add in that the RTX line have power spikes that PSU dont like, I would recommend a good Tier A PSU for your computer LIST I would also recommend going above the recommend wattage for the PSU as well. The RTX 3070 recommends a 600W but i would look at a 750w or 850w.

I had a EVGA 750w G2 on my 2080ti that would flicker a screen and then reboot, 2080Ti recommends a 600w PSU. Replaced it with a EVGA 1600w G2 i had laying around and havent had issues since.......granted it overkill but i had it so i used it.

mzimmer5

Honorable
Apr 7, 2016
what are the full system specs of the computer?

Like DRagor said i would point a finger at the PSU, Both ARK and Valheim i know are very demanding. Add in that the RTX line have power spikes that PSU dont like, I would recommend a good Tier A PSU for your computer LIST I would also recommend going above the recommend wattage for the PSU as well. The RTX 3070 recommends a 600W but i would look at a 750w or 850w.

I had a EVGA 750w G2 on my 2080ti that would flicker a screen and then reboot, 2080Ti recommends a 600w PSU. Replaced it with a EVGA 1600w G2 i had laying around and havent had issues since.......granted it overkill but i had it so i used it.
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.70 GHz
Processor Main Features 64 bit 6-Core 12-Thread Processor
Cache Per Processor 32 MB L3 Cache
Memory 16 GB DDR4 3600
Storage 1 TB NVMe SSD
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB GDDR6 (Brand may vary)
Power Supply650 Watt 80 PLUS Gold Certified

obviously the specs on the vid card are different for now. The 570 came out of an old computer i have that was currently playing Valheim and a host of other games (not ark) so while i agree its a bottleneck, it has played those games previously without incident...working on the DDU now

mzimmer5

Honorable
Apr 7, 2016
Couple of extra bits of info:

AMD stress test, passes no problem
Cinebench runs fine
Can watch youtube no problem
Seem to be able to play 7 days to Die without incident (goofed around for like 5 minutes, so not intensive testing)
Seem to be able to play Dont Starve, and host the server for the wife to join, no issue for a like five minutes.
Idk...headscratcher.

mzimmer5

Honorable
Apr 7, 2016
Anymore thoughts on this? I am still having issues and it seems to be somewhat selectively. What ever seems to resolve the issue is both unknown and also temporary. I did an OCCT psu stress test and all my voltages were within spec. I've swapped in and out ram sticks with no change, and also ran the windows memory checker tool again with no issues. Some games that i play work all the time (Sid Meyers civ6, don't starve) while others typically do not work and immediately put the cpu into a restart....1 in 10 timesish they all work and I've played for over 2 hours without incident. Any tips are appreciated

ASK THE COMMUNITY