Question One-year old PC suddenly won't POST, the CPU and DRAM lights are on ?

WilliamCFoste3

Honorable
Dec 30, 2016
Hello all,

My PC all of a sudden won't POST; I was using it on Wednesday night and it was working entirely fine (no aberrant temp issues or performance issues with it). On Thursday morning when I started the PC it entered into a rebooting cycle, repeatedly starting and restarting. I then reseated the RAM and GPU and noticed that when it starts the DRAM and CPU lights are displaying on the motherboard and I am getting no display from my monitor. The PC was built approximately this time in January 2022, so unfortunately the warranty has expired for my motherboard. For the entire year the PC has worked very well and has only been used for gaming. The last time I used the PC, I played Hitman III for about 2 hours and then Tetris Effect for about 30 minutes, so I don't think anything has been done to cause undue stress on the components.

My specs are as follows:

CPU: Intel Core i5 11400F CPU 2.6GHz 6 Core Socket 1200 Processor
MOBO: ASrock B560 Pro ATX
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200mhz 8gb X 2
GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3060ti 8GB
PSU: Corsair VS650
All-In-One Cooler: Corsair Hydro H45
Case: Corsair Carbide SPEC-04 TG

Things I have tried:
  • Reseating every individual component; the CPU has been reseated, the GPU, the RAM (I have tried each stick in every slot, and even used a spare stick I had from a previous PC) and the motherboard has been entirely removed from the case and reseated.
  • I have reseated the CMOS battery and bought a new CR2032 battery for the CMOS slot.
  • Left the CMOS battery, the PSU plug and disconnected all components for 1 hour and held the power button for 30 seconds.
  • Running the PC with only the CPU power and 24 power pin connected to the board.
  • Using the clear CMOS jumper.
This is a very weird PC issue for me, given that nothing physically changed for the PC. I feel as though I have exhausted all of the possible options that I know to do, so if anyone has a recommendation or has faced a similar issue any help with this would be greatly appreciated! My unprofessional conclusion would be that either my CPU or motherboard is defective and I need to replace either/both.

Thank you so much in advance.

Last edited:

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
My specs are as follows:

CPU: Intel Core i5 11400F CPU 2.6GHz 6 Core Socket 1200 Processor

GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3060ti 8GB

PSU: Corsair VS560
First thing that catches my eye is this combo with that cpu+gpu and the low quality psu. Can you test with another psu? Maybe from a friend or a local shop can help out.

Last edited:

WilliamCFoste3

Honorable
Dec 30, 2016
Thank you both for the responses!

I made an error in the original post but have now edited it; the PSU in my PC is the VS650 not, as I put it, a 560w unit.

I am confused because the PC has been working fine, even in more rigorous games or in benchmark programs, but the idea of a faulty PSU does seem right to me-- I have had issues with a cheaper PSU causing issues in a PC a few years ago.

I will purchase a new PSU soon and I will update the thread when it arrives.

Thanks again, your help is really appreciated!

Thank you both for the responses!

I made an error in the original post but have now edited it; the PSU in my PC is the VS650 not, as I put it, a 560w unit.

I am confused because the PC has been working fine, even in more rigorous games or in benchmark programs, but the idea of a faulty PSU does seem right to me-- I have had issues with a cheaper PSU causing issues in a PC a few years ago.

I will purchase a new PSU soon and I will update the thread when it arrives.

Thanks again, your help is really appreciated!

You're welcome! :)

So the VS as mentioned is really only an office PC type power supply. It's certainly not the worst PSU, but it's very basic, and not made with quality parts (like Caps etc). It's not a PSU that would be recommended for a gaming build here. With that said, you've been using and so far it's been fine. But it could crap out quickly. I think it's got a 3 year warranty, and it tends to give way often before that.

WilliamCFoste3

Honorable
Dec 30, 2016
Update,

I replaced the PSU with a Corsair TX-M Series TX650M and it has not fixed the issue. The PC will still not post and has the same DRAM and CPU lights on.

I think it would be fair to say that either the CPU or motherboard is at fault here, but I personally don't know how I would be able to distinguish between the two.

Thanks again.