OneDrive Can Now Sync Your Documents, Photos and Desktop Folders

Status
Not open for further replies.

weilin

Distinguished
When will OneDrive support a file based ignore list that's located in the root of the backup folder? Certain games like to store random settings/junk in "My Documents". I don't want that synced to all my computers. When I use the UI to exclude that folder, it deletes the local copy. I just want the local copy to exist and never be synced.

Aug 15, 2018
What if the contents of those folders are different over every device i have? If I enable desktop/documents/pictures on each device, will they all be mashed together? What about shortcuts to device specific files? What happens if there are duplicates?

weilin

Distinguished

It will very very likely merge each respective folder. Anything/Everything under the folder "desktop" on all your machines will appear on all your machines.

If a file with the same name exists on more than one machine, a hash is usually compared. If the hash matches, then great they're the same file and nothing needs to be done. If they're different. The tool will do what any file syncing tool does (dropbox, drive, etc), it will keep both copies by either appending "from machine XYZ" to each file or "(1)" and "(2)" to each file to differentiate.

Co BIY

Splendid
Will they be data-mining all the documents or are they making some promise of privacy in your document content ?

Or have they already seen my data and are now just giving me the payout for the sale of the data?

FYI - I understand the NSA already took a look but I'm somewhat confident they'll make an attempt not to sell that info to the highest bidder.

Rosanjin

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2006
You should definitely encrypt all of your data housed in these clouds services.

Boxcryptor does the job and works well enough for my needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.