Question OneDrive synching very slow after Win 10 reinstall

philipavery

Prominent
May 16, 2018
I always move my OneDrive and OD4B to secondary drives, E:\ and F:\ respectively, on a second disk, and keep a local copy of all files. I tend to reinstall Windows 10 every 6-9 months and am always amazed at how fast it becomes! However, I then have to resynch the files even though they are in the right folder structure in the right place for both ODs with an exact match to the online folder structure. This is always very slow, but this time the resyncing is glacially slow and OD4B merely says 'Processing 44,277 changes and OD 'Syncing 59,987 files x of 522.6Gb'. Mousing over the tray icon for OD also shows a download speed of 0.0Kb although 'changes' are being made despite the online and offline files being the same. My connection tests at 225Mb down and 22Mb up and the machine has been on constantly for 2 weeks.

I have 3 closely related questions, hence my combining them here:

1. Is there any way of setting up the system so that I don't have to resync every time Win10 is reinstalled?

2. Is there any way of speeding up the syncing? I've seen suggestions about batching but, apart from that being impossibly labour intensive, I don't see how that would make any difference other than in priority of syncing.

Colif

Win 11 Master
why are you using OD4B?

have you tried stopping the sync and starting again? it might be stuck.

Do the contents of the folders change a great deal between installs? you can turn sync off in its settings

Did you know version updates of win 10 are essentially a clean install every 6 months so you might be doing too many installs a year unless you time them to when version updates are due out.

philipavery

Prominent
May 16, 2018
why are you using OD4B?

have you tried stopping the sync and starting again? it might be stuck.

Do the contents of the folders change a great deal between installs? you can turn sync off in its settings

Did you know version updates of win 10 are essentially a clean install every 6 months so you might be doing too many installs a year unless you time them to when version updates are due out.

Yes, I have tried stopping and restarting the sync but not starting from scratch. I haven't found that the Win10 updates have ever speeded up the slowing system. The folder contents do change a lot but I would be guessing if I suggested a percentage. I have about 1.7Gb of files so using both OD and OD4B gives me the capacity.

Last edited by a moderator:

Colif

Win 11 Master
should get an office 365 subscription, it gave me 1tb of storage space in Onedrive, all in the one place... not that i need that much. have 69gb used

I assume you have the sync on all the time, between installs, so wonder what the 45k changes are. there should be that many if daily sync is on.

see what version of OD4B you are using - https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...w/c6bb4942-3da4-427f-ad95-0f4f9a4e909a?auth=1

have you checked what sync speed you have onedrive set to?
right click the taskbar icon
choose settings/Network
it should be set to Don't limit

a few more suggestions here - https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...bly-slow/f17486e9-7d78-4af1-9c19-2a8f42335761

Do you make a new Win 10 installer each time? saves getting as many updates after install

Last edited:

philipavery

Prominent
May 16, 2018
Ha! That should have been 1.7Tb of files! Yes, I have a total of 2Tb with OD and OD4B. Syncing is always on but the syncing is as a result of the Win10 reinstall. I am using the new sync client and have 'Don't limit' set. I do use a new installer each time. Thanks for the suggestions.

philipavery

Prominent
May 16, 2018
No, that was me. I've left it on this time (while I was away on holiday) because of the extreme slowness. of the sync to see what would happen. The answer was, very little. Normally it gets shut down daily. Apologies for the confusion.