OnePlus 2 AMA Reveals New Devices Coming This Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
Crappy device. Their talks about skipping NFC because they do not feel that it sill be useful until next year, as well as skipping the micro SD, and non user replaceable battery, all points to them doing some major planned obsolescence. They want to make a device that the user will grow sick of within a year.

This is the main reason for nonuser replaceable batteries. The average user will not risk taking their device apart to replace the battery, and thus after a few hundred charge cycles, where in the course of which, the battery capacity will slowly drop and you will subconsciously change your usage habits while simultaneously growing to hate the device, thus making you more willing to buy a newer device.

Those are the design decisions that will make me avoid purchasing a device on principle alone.

fil333

Reputable
May 22, 2014
Crappy device. Their talks about skipping NFC because they do not feel that it sill be useful until next year, as well as skipping the micro SD, and non user replaceable battery, all points to them doing some major planned obsolescence. They want to make a device that the user will grow sick of within a year.

This is the main reason for nonuser replaceable batteries. The average user will not risk taking their device apart to replace the battery, and thus after a few hundred charge cycles, where in the course of which, the battery capacity will slowly drop and you will subconsciously change your usage habits while simultaneously growing to hate the device, thus making you more willing to buy a newer device.

Those are the design decisions that will make me avoid purchasing a device on principle alone.

Absolutely agree with you there. Instead of making improvements with their second phone, they're just stripping out features like RAW camera support and NFC in the hopes nobody will care. In reality, your phone needs to give all its got to compete with the boatload of smartphones there are today.

True, it has a lower price phone than many other phones but there is no logical reason to not have a removable battery or NFC considering it's predecessor had both. The battery may have required a couple screws to get to, but you could easily remove it...

aldaia

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2010

I have the One Plus One (no SD slot and no replaceable battery), and I will certainly not buy the One plus 2, but not for the reasons you mention. After a year with the One plus One I can tell you that I happier than ever, and I see no need yet for a new phone. It's still on par with most flagship devices, only that it cost me 1/2 to 1/3 of the price.

My battery is still lasting 2 days with normal use (phone, chatting, surfing and moderate gaming). If I do intensive gaming It still lasts until I get home at night.

Regarding SD, my previous phone had an SD slot but not much internal storage, that was a source of troubles. Yes I could "partially" install apps on SD, but was a nuisance. with 64 Gb of internal storage I've never run out of space. After one year of use I still have more that half of my storage space. I understand that If you are used to other phones where the price difference between the 16Gb and the 64Gb model sets you back €100 (or even €200 in the case of Iphone 6 plus) you may think that a SD card is a must. However, when the price difference between the 2 models is practically the same as the cost of a 32Gb SD card, then its a no brainier.

TL;DR I'll skip the One Plus 2 because the One Plus One was (and still is) so good that I don't need a new phone.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009

Absolutely agree with you there. Instead of making improvements with their second phone, they're just stripping out features like RAW camera support and NFC in the hopes nobody will care. In reality, your phone needs to give all its got to compete with the boatload of smartphones there are today.

True, it has a lower price phone than many other phones but there is no logical reason to not have a removable battery or NFC considering it's predecessor had both. The battery may have required a couple screws to get to, but you could easily remove it...

you are talking about a phone that costs 330-380$ that competes with phones that are 800+$

nfc isnt important right now, and i cant blame them for striping it to reduce cost

if the battery is good, it will last longer than the phone is useful, remember phones arent phones anymore.

also, raw camera on a cellphone... that is the purpose of that with the camera that crappy?

Status
Not open for further replies.