OnePlus Reveals USB Type-C Connector On OnePlus Two Smartphone

Status
Not open for further replies.

aldaia

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2010
I really hope they launch a OnePlus phone with Windows OS.

Considering the tiny market share of Windows OS on smartphones, that is somthing that a samll company cannot afford. Maybe a company like samsung that launches tens of news smnarphones every year can launch a few of them with Windows OS. But certainly not a company that has a single phone in the market, and is launching the second one.

scolaner

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014

There's a lot more to it. Here's some additional reading:
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/usb-3.1-usb-type-c-connector,27796.html

Now, the big question is, which version of USB will it use? OnePlus won't share that information with us yet, unfortunately...

Thudo

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
@Larry - So was 640kB of Ram was supposedly enough back in the 80s.

There will ALWAYS be a need for faster, smaller, affordable. Always! We cannot REMOTELY have enough speed and power. More.. MOAR!!!!

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
I really hope they launch a OnePlus phone with Windows OS.

Considering the tiny market share of Windows OS on smartphones, that is somthing that a samll company cannot afford. Maybe a company like samsung that launches tens of news smnarphones every year can launch a few of them with Windows OS. But certainly not a company that has a single phone in the market, and is launching the second one.

I seem to remember recently a smaller Japanese phone maker called Freetel has announced 2 Windows 10 handsets, the Katana 01 and Katana 02. Probably won't set the world on fire, but does blow the theory out of the water that someone other than Samsung can take the plunge.

scolaner

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014

A couple of things to bear in mind about Windows on mobile devices: It's true that it's market share in the U.S. is basically a rounding error, but the penetration in some other countries is actually in double digits. Further, Microsoft told us that handset makers in developing countries are asking for Windows; it's a way to create some differentiation for those customers. They want something other than Android. So, it's actually a lot of the smaller handset guys that are diving in to Windows. We just aren't seeing a lot of that in the U.S.

I wrote about this around MWC: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/microsoft-global-windows-phone-strategy,28697.html

Status
Not open for further replies.