Ongoing cpu temperature problems

punksunflower

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
Hi, I bought a custom built pc 2 years ago, and about a year ago my cpu started overheating (running at 53c idle) i used speedfan and checked in bios (in bios it would lower by a couple of degrees), so I asked a friend to replace the stock cooler (I'm too nervous to handle anything near cpu), it then started running at about 30c, I also fitted an extra fan into 5 1/2" drivebay. Pc was fine until now when its overheating again - I'm running it with side off now and core is 42c idle but starts going into 50's as soon as I'm doing anything other than email or web browsing. I came here cos I've seen all great advice when trying to learn more about pc's. Here are my specs:

Thermaltake Toughpower 700w psu (bought and fitted after overheat started, i know its not the best but i was on a budget)
asus M2V-TVM motherboard
Athlon 64x2 3800+ cpu (not sure which revision cos voltage on mine is 1.15v and none on amd site list that voltage):

http://products.amd.com/en-us/desktopcpuresult.aspx?f1=AMD+Athlon%E2%84%A2+X2+Dual-Core&f2=3800%2b&f3=2000&f4=512&f5=AM2&f6=F2&f7=90nm+SOI&f8=&f9=2000&f10=False&f11=False#

Thermaltake Silent 939 K8 Heatsink
2 gb ddr2 ram
ATI Sapphire Radeon 4870 512mb (bought and fitted after overheat started)
2 sata hdd
sony dvd rw (not lightscribe)
Card reader/floppy drive
and up to 4 usb devices
1 x 2000rpm intake fan 1 x 2000rpm exhaust fan 1x 2000rpm 5 1/2" drive bay fan

any advice would be greatly appreciated and I can provide more info if wanted, thanks in advance.

punksunflower

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
Staram dust was all cleaned out when side was removed

I don't know which thermal paste was used as I wont fit cpus/heatsinks (bit of a coward), and after reading posts here it did cross my mind that thermal paste could be the problem, also I was reading that when you reseat heatsink you're supposed to remove old paste yet it was changed over within a couple of minutes which seems quick (i probably should have read about this before)

You mentioned AS5 but I've heard others mention Arctic Cooling MX-2 do you know if this is any good? (With my fear of CPU's I don't fancy using silver near mobo)
Cheers
Also summer not much different from my 21-23 degrees house in winter (i like it warm)

starams5

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2009
It takes more than a couple of minute's to prep a CPU and heatsink and the thermal compound should be applied according to CPU type. "AS5 but I've heard others mention Arctic Cooling MX-2". I like AS5 but it probably boils done to personal preference more than anything. For cleaning I prefer ArtiClean, others prefer alcohol and both will work. See links below and if you decide to re-mount post back and I'll explain.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835100010&Tpk=articlean

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=as5&x=0&y=0

punksunflower

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
I think I will have to re-mount. I read the Newegg reviews for AS5 and MX-2 and I think I'll use MX-2, cos if I start shaking and spill it near cpu at least I won't fry it.
When I've upgraded pc I've always used anti-static strap, are there any other precautions I need to take? Also can I use plain tissue with the Arctic Silver cleaning stuff? Please explain,
Gosh if I manage this you might cure me of my cpu phobia

starams5

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2009
I had this on a text file so I wouldn't have to re-type, just substitute MX-2 for AS5.

Heatsink surface: Clean the old paste off using ArtiClean or alcohol with a coffee filter. After it has been cleaned put a small amount of AS5 on the heatsink and rub it into the surface in a clockwise manner with your finger in a plastic bag, a shake & bake bag works well at this point you don't want anything on the heatsink (lint, hair, body oils). The purpose of the last step is to fill in any imperfections on the surface of the heatsink. Now take a coffee filter (or something that is lint free) and polish the surface, don't press down too hard or you will remove the AS5 from the bad spots.

The CPU heat spreader can be cleaned with just ArtiClean or alcohol. Method for applying the thermal paste varies from CPU to CPU.