Ongoing display issues only when dual monitor

vespir

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
I recently bought a new computer at the start of July, it has a Nvidia GTX 1060. The computer itself is by ASUS and I purchased from NCIX.

At first, only my primary monitor would work. This was resolved quickly though, I contacted ASUS and they had me download the drivers from their website directly.

I noticed when I had a game open on primary screen, and a browser open on secondary screen, occasionally (2-3 times an hour) the screens would flicker. Then everything would minimize, and when I reopen the browser it loads on the primary screen instead of the secondary where it was.

Although annoying it wasn't yet a huge issue. With time, however, when games would flicker certain games would become unplayable, it would display very choppy around 0.5 FPS. Eventually it got to the point where the screens would flicker, and then both displays would go black. I could still hear the audio of the game, but no visual.

Whenever I unplugged my secondary monitor, there would be no sign of the issue, it was only when I had both plugged in.

By this point I had contacted NVIDIA, ASUS, and NCIX, they all had various ideas for troubleshooting. Eventually something seemed to work because the issues stopped. But only for a few weeks, and then it started up again. Just like before it started with the flicker and minimizing, and then last night it progressed where everything goes black (it skipped the poor FPS phase). all only while I have both monitors connected.

I used these same two monitors for my previous computer, although I think only one of them required an adapter at that time; currently, they are both using a VGA to HDMI adapter.

I know the hardware is more than capable of handling the games I've been playing (I mostly play Blizzard games). But I can't seem to get a permanent solution, and would prefer not having to send it in for repairs after just buying it this summer.

Appreciate any help, happy to provide any more details.

Solution
Could you connect via HDMI only (like to a TV or something) to test if the issue remains?

The issue is more likely to relate the one of the adapters (although a significant hardware issue is still a possibility).

vespir

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012

Here's a link to the computer (I'm sorry if links aren't allowed on this forum, I'll edit it out if that's the case) https://www.ncix.com/detail/asus-rog-gr8-ii-t045z-i7-7700-8d-142778.htm

I'm not quite sure what I'm plugging the monitors into. A few weeks ago I sent in a picture to the technical support, perhaps you can tell from it. The bottom cord is the primary, the middle one is where the secondary goes.

IMG_0358_zpsxmmqcnmr.jpg

OYrwKrv.jpg

If you have a signal cable running from the Monitor to the IGP Port, you are running the graphics off the CPUs HD Graphics.

If you have a signal cable running from the Monitor to the Graphics card, you are running the graphics off the 1060

Primary Monitor ==> Graphics Card
Secondary Monitor ==> IGP Port

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
The ROG GR8 only has the GPU outputs, so you're connecting to the GPU - with 2x HDMI and 1x DisplayPort.

You're using HDMI to VGA adapters though? Could you post a link of what adapters specifically? They need to be "active" to adequately convert a signal from HDMI (digital) to VGA (analog).

vespir

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012

They are VGA to HDMI if I understand the 'to' correctly, as in the monitor plug is a VGA cable and I attach it into a HDMI adapter, so they're both going into an HDMI port.

Edit: forgot to post links of my adapters.
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00ZMV7RL2/ref=pe_3034960_233709270_TE_item
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00YMN9VV0/ref=pe_386430_126088100_TE_item

vespir

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012

Unfortunately I don't think I'd be able to test with dual though, because while the TV may be HDMI I don't have a second screen that uses HDMI to test with. I'm willing to buy a new HDMI monitor though if it fixes the issue. I use the second just for an open browser while gaming, so I'm shocked I'm having this issue.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Hmmm, with only 1 HDMI display, is suggest connecting your primary display to it.

Then, try a secondary display with each of the adapters to see if one is fine & the other presents an issue?

Does this happen with either adapter/either monitor? Or is it limited to one specific monitor/adapter?

vespir

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
I bought some HDMI cables, and since Thursday have not had any issues. If it continues this way it looks like the problem was with one of the adapters. Thanks everyone!