Ongoing issue with Kaby Lake G4600 and R9 380

lcolederrick

Honorable
Aug 27, 2013
I just installed my Kabylake G4600 and now my motherboard won't detect my R9 380 unless it's in the PCIEx4 slot, it won't in the PCIEx16 slot. Even when it does detect it in the PCIEx4 slot, it will only display on one of my monitors and not the other, I have it hooked up with one DVI cable and one HDMI.

The dumbest part is I know that it's getting signal to the monitor because it will display the boot screen and logo on the second monitor until it gets to the Windows logon screen, then it turns off like it's not getting a signal anymore.

I had this same setup installed before with an Intel G3258 and it worked fine. I switched back to an AMD build until the G4600 got here yesterday, now I took the motherboard and everything back out to install the G4600 and the graphics card is doing this. It worked fine before with the G3258 and also worked in my AMD build.

I even went today and bought a new motherboard and am having the same issue still, so I know it's not a motherboard problem. I also tried with another graphics card (650Ti) and it didn't work either.

I've tried everything from a clean Windows install to using DDU to uninstall and re install drivers. I have my BIOS and all drivers up to date.

Parts List:
PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/h6qpFd
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/h6qpFd/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Pentium G4400 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor ($57.33 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($98.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: EVGA SuperSC 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.33 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 380 4GB Nitro Video Card
Case: Corsair C70 Military Green (Green) ATX Mid Tower Case ($130.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ B&H)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit ($100.17 @ Amazon)
Total: $486.79
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-02-05 23:56 EST-0500

Solution
1) What cpu do you use? the G4600 ( in the title) or the G4400 ( in the PCpartpicker)?
I've tried everything from a clean Windows install to using DDU to uninstall and re install drivers. I have my BIOS and all drivers up to date.
If you use the g4600, make sure you got the newer BIOS ( F20 ), because the Z170 will not support the Kaby Lake G4600 without the right BIOS.
2) Does the PC work fine without the r9 380? If it does, somehow the Corsair Builder 430W PSU will not handle the r9 380 anymore, I think you used other 6-pin adapter for the 380, because the PSU has only one, and the r9 380 needs two 6-pin pice cables. In other hand, you said you had the same problem with 650ti too, the gtx650ti will draw less power than the r9 380.
So try other PSU.

lcolederrick

Honorable
Aug 27, 2013

I'll address each of your points one by one to make sure we're on the same page, and thanks for the response by the way.

1. The BIOS is updated to F20.
2. The integrated graphics work fine, but if I plug into the graphics card I get absolutely nothing on my monitors.
3. I actually have a newer Sentey 750w psu in my system right now and it is doing the same thing with it installed.

This graphics card was working fine before switching to Kaby Lake. I even went and bought a new ASRock Kaby Lake motherboard and am getting the same issue with it. At this point I have reverted back to my old AMD system because I gave up and will be returning the Kaby Lake processor.

I've researched and talked to a ton of people and as of right now my opinion, along with others, is that the new Kaby Lake BIOS is not playing well with external graphics cards, or at least mine.

If like you said the GPU, r9 380, works fine, and even you used other MB or onboard iGPU too, and you got the same problem, so I think the problem should be from the PSU, either the cx 430W or Sentey 750w. Or something else, but I hope it should not be like that the new Kaby Lake BIOS is not playing well with external graphics cards.

Try to use the onboard iGPU boot into the BIOS, and enable to boot from discrete graphics or disable onboard iGPU too. Also can you post which model the Sentey 750w is?

And try use only one monitor only, don't use any adapter on the DVI or HMDI cable that is connected to the monitor

Solution