Question Ongoing video stutter after switching GPU

silversmithy

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2012
I have an HP pavilion a6650f desktop that had an HD 6450 GPU in it. I swapped that card for a GT 740 4gb SC. To be honest I don't always remove all the previous drivers, etc. like I should, but anyway all worked out fine. I decided to use the GT 740 somewhere else and put the hd 6450 back into the a6650f. This time I tried to do it right and did my best to uninstall previous, and any drivers I could find with DDU. I put the hd 6450 back in, reinstalled proper driver and immediately had sound issues. Ran DDU again, deleted previous Invidia audio drivers, etc..... Eventually I did get audio back. I should mention I was using the HDMI port on the 6450 to my HDMI on my TV. Now, and still ongoing everytime i click on the volume icon lower right and try to adjust volume the screen will flash prior to volume sounding, and again when I exit the volume option. It also has occurred when starting/opening programs, and or if I unplug my USB controller or a thumb drive even when properly ejecting. I just recently swapped an HD 6850 in to see what would happen and same issue. I have limited access to Internet so have to use my phone as a hotspot and limited to 2.4ghz which potentially makes downloading drivers, etc. a whole afternoon or day long process. I am wondering if this is a driver and Windows 10 issue. I need help. By the way this machine is basically used for storing documents/photos, and playing older games, i.e. need for speed underground 2, most wanted 2005, etc. Any help , or advice is greatly appreciated. Again with hd 6450 initially no problems, switched to GT 740 no issues. Problem started when switching back to 6450 from GT 740. I am thinking Invidia audio drivers, but supposedly DDU took care of that. I did have severe issues with games having video/audio stutter quite often with OCZ reaper ram installed and that went away when I swapped in different ram. Not sure what else is going on.

HP a6650f desktop amd phenom ii x4 9550

4gb DDR3 ram

Current GPU HD HIS 6850 IceQ 3 turbo 1gb DDR5

stock 460 PSU

Windows 10 64 bit home

silversmithy

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2012
Good question... I really don't know to be honest. Now that I think of it I believe that PSU actually came out of a Dell XPS 8300. So I would guess 11-12 yrs old. The thing is though that this issue started after switching GPU's. Prior to the initial swap and the ram issue it was fine.

silversmithy

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2012
First of all I should have said flicker, not stutter. Okay so here's the latest. I decided to hook up the computer to a different TV last night and to my surprise no video flicker at all anywhere, desktop, game, etc. I am guessing the issue is with the initial TV's settings.

TRENDING THREADS