Question Onkyo SKS-HT870 crossover confusion with Onkyo TX-NR656

Googlrman123

Reputable
Sep 21, 2015
Hi, I'm a pretty new home theater enthusiast but I know a few things here and there when it comes to home audio. I've been using the SKS-HT870 (7.1) speakers with the NR656 A/V for a while now and what I've found is that there's one setting I can't seem to figure out. I've done some research on crossover and almost every article either has a setting I should follow or recommends the THX-certified settings which is 80Hz for all speakers except subwoofer. I want to marry the speakers and A/V system together and have the best movie experience possible.

The question - What should my crossover settings be?

Here is a link to the speaker system's manual - From Onkyo's official site, go-to page 13 for the specifications and frequency range for each speaker
Here is a link to the A/V system's manual - From Onkyo's official site, go-to page 42 for crossover settings on the A/V

The problem - I can't seem to get enough bass and I feel like bass is being "lost" when watching movies due to bad crossover settings.

Current crossover setting - these settings were based on an article that recommends setting the crossover at least 10Hz above the lowest each speaker can go
Front 60Hz
Center 70Hz
Surround 90Hz
Surround Back 90Hz
LPF or LFE 120Hz

Example movie audio formats I typically watch,
DTS-MA
Dobly Atmos

Am I doing something wrong or is it another settings that I must change? Also, are anyone of my speakers Full-Range?

U done all you could, why doubt yourself?

Nowadays spiffier AVRs come with what often referred to ROOM CORRECTION. Hook up the enclose mic, run through some test sounds and the AVR automatically sets crossover points as well as EQ for each channel. U can do this manually via a calibrated mic + software (REW popular).

Latest posts