Khf1212

Prominent
Apr 21, 2020
Intro:
Hi guys! So I recently moved into a house with Xfinity as my ISP. I recently upgraded my internet to 1gb down & and a very sufficient upload speed as well. We use a brand new xfinity modem and one other Netgear access point (mainly for WiFi in the house) Although we have many devices and a couple of users, our plan with xFi seems to be just fine and sufficient.

Problem:
However, I am disconnecting from almost every online game I play (ie. Disconnected from host/ server). I originally thought this was specific to just this one game however it’s happened across multiple games now that I’ve tested that theory. I really don’t lag much or have issues, it just simply kicks me from the game all of the sudden. This has happened very similarly in both Fortnite and Call of Duty. My screen freezes up and then I am kicked from the game a few seconds later. I’m not 100% sure but it doesn’t even seem like I have lost internet connection by the time I check! In some cases there will be packet loss before or after this disruption.

Notable Details:
  • Legion Y540 PC - 32gb Ram, GTX 1650 GPU, fully updated, virtually brand new, virus checked, tons of available storage.
  • I run a Ethernet cord directly from the modem to a port in the wall. That port runs a cord through the wall and into my room. I then connect to that port and go into my computer from there.
  • The cord running from the modem through the wall and into my room was placed years ago so this is one possible issue I’m worried about. Maybe the cord is damaged?? However I’m not dropping connection throughout any other tasks just when I play my online games.

What I Have Attempted:
  • First I switched DNS to google servers
  • Next I flushed DNS cache
  • I opened up the ports on my PCs firewall for the specific game I am having trouble with and was able to see that my NAT was infact open for this game.
  • Brand new Ethernet cords **except for the one that goes from modem to wall port in my room (this is not easily replaceable!! but possible to do if need be)
  • Reinstalling the game
  • a few other little settings changes I found on internet that I thought my help.

Bottom line:
None of the above fixes helped my issue and I am very frustrated with all of this and overall am struggling to find what to do next or what even is happening here!

- I plan on trying to open up ports in my router settings tomorrow to see if that helps ( I only made these changes on my pc as of right now)
- I also plan to reach out to xfinity but am pretty confident they will be little to no help :(

If anyone has any insight here it would be greatly appreciated. I am pretty new to this forum so if I missed and pertinent information please let me know!

Solution
It is not related to ports not being opened. The symptom of that is you can't host games or some function does not work at all.

First check to see if your modem has a log screen. Your internet connection maybe actually dropping. See if you see messages that happen about the time you see the issue in the game. Note you will see messages for things that are not bad enough to actually cuase traffic issues so it can be confusing. There are some obvious ones that say the connection drops or you get large numbers within a second or two.

Games are very susceptible to intermittent packet loss even very small periods of loss will disconnect a game.

First run a tracert 8.8.8.8.

Next open a number of cmd windows and leave constant...
It is not related to ports not being opened. The symptom of that is you can't host games or some function does not work at all.

First check to see if your modem has a log screen. Your internet connection maybe actually dropping. See if you see messages that happen about the time you see the issue in the game. Note you will see messages for things that are not bad enough to actually cuase traffic issues so it can be confusing. There are some obvious ones that say the connection drops or you get large numbers within a second or two.

Games are very susceptible to intermittent packet loss even very small periods of loss will disconnect a game.

Next open a number of cmd windows and leave constant ping run to hop 1 (your router) hop 2 ( the ISP) and maybe the game serve or use 8.8.8.8

What you want to do is when the game sees a issue quickly tab over to these windows and see if there is a corresponding disruption. Hop1 means the issue is in your house maybe but not likely the ethernet cable.
If hop 1 is good and hop 2 is bad then it generally means there is something wrong with the cabling between your house and the ISP.

Solution

Khf1212

Prominent
Apr 21, 2020

Next open a number of cmd windows and leave constant ping run to hop 1 (your router) hop 2 ( the ISP) and maybe the game serve or use 8.8.8.8

What you want to do is when the game sees a issue quickly tab over to these windows and see if there is a corresponding disruption. Hop1 means the issue is in your house maybe but not likely the ethernet cable.
If hop 1 is good and hop 2 is bad then it generally means there is something wrong with the cabling between your house and the ISP.
Thank you for your help and response. I think I understand your point. I will give this a try today! Much appreciated

Khf1212

Prominent
Apr 21, 2020

Bill I have run a test as you suggested. Basically I set up a continuous ping to hop 1 and hop 2. Right when the issue occurred Hop2 started showing request timed out. Does this mean its a Comcast issue on my end? Hop 1 was steady throughout.

Yes that means the connection between your house and comcast went down. It could technically be the modem but it is unlikely. You can check the signal levels in your modem. The exact value depends a bit so the table is a little big but you can search recommended cable modem values.

In the end comcast will have to fix it. Their tech can see any messages or levels in your modem.

Khf1212

Prominent
Apr 21, 2020
Yes that means the connection between your house and comcast went down. It could technically be the modem but it is unlikely. You can check the signal levels in your modem. The exact value depends a bit so the table is a little big but you can search recommended cable modem values.

In the end comcast will have to fix it. Their tech can see any messages or levels in your modem.
At least now I have an idea of what is going wrong. I will take it up with Comcast.
Thanks again for all your help!

TRENDING THREADS