Online gaming uses a lot of download limit?

drkailinium

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2008
BT have told my dad that were are going over are rather small 10GB monthly download limit and I assumed that I had downloaded too many steam games only to be informed that 'playing online games is as bad as streaming online videos and is eating up bandwidth' this smells strongly of bullshit in my opinion I mean how are they downloading information? aren't they supposed to be streamlined towards this sort of thing?

Only solution is to go to an ISP that doesn't have a download limit. MOST ISPs don't have limitations. Once these ISPs that have download limits go out of business ISPs will stop having limits.

Online games don't have nearly the download of streaming movies. The only time you'd get hit is if there is a patch. 10gig is nothing these days for a limit, about as usefull now as a 256mb flash card.

Have them give you a breakdown of where the downloads are going so you can check.

drkailinium

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2008
you misunderstand me (although my post is badly written) I want to know if online gaming downloads a lot ie does fill up monthly download limits quickly

It all depends, if you play every day for 8 hours you will use more bandwidth, it also depends on the game. Just regular playing does not send a lot of data back and forth. It should be a small fraction of your 10gig limit. When you install games using Steam, you are downloading a huge amount of data though, just now when you actually play them.

drkailinium

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2008

thanks this is what I thought so I don't think the BT guy had a clue what he was talking about I play online for at most 2 hours and my brother about 2-3 so I can't see how this is true

This actually got me curious so I looked up some stats for WoW. Looks like for a few hours of playing a day, you will use about 1gig on the high side of things.

Found a post with
"
Heres a bandwidth log from my router. This was about 16 hours of WoW one day and browing the internet. No torrents, no newsgroups, no irc, this is the total both download and upload.

88.11 MB
"

And

http://wow.joystiq.com/tag/bandwidth-usage/