[SOLVED] Online server and back-up desktop?Hel

Hai Ngo

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2013
Hello~

I apologize for this newb question. With Cyber Monday being tomorrow, I'm in a bit of a rush.
After a couple weeks of trouble shooting, I think I've finally concluded that my graphics card is shot. Here was my build from like 7 years ago:

Since this build, I do have a 500GB SSD, and many 8TB HDDs. I do photo and video stuff for a living. This desktop's main function is to clone drives for back-ups, and act as an online server by staying connected to the internet and I just use Google Remote Desktop to access files as I need. I figured this might be an opportunity to have something smaller that does this same thing.

I was wondering:
  1. Should I just get a NAS that connects online instead?
  2. Should I build some kind of cheap-ish micro build? (I'm open to builds!! I don't want to spend much on it since it doesn't need to do much? But I have extra funds to throw at this project if needed.)
  3. Should I just buy a replacement GPU?

Thank you for your time!!

Solution
I was wondering:
  2. Should I build some kind of cheap-ish micro build? (I'm open to builds!! I don't want to spend much on it since it doesn't need to do much? But I have extra funds to throw at this project if needed.)
If you get a NAS, you would probably want to format the drives you install. If that is acceptable, then I would recommend a NAS.
I don't recommend a build your own NAS, just because the commercial units are so polished and plug-and-play.
You could definitely get a 1030 GPU and continue as before.

kanewolf

Titan
I was wondering:
If you get a NAS, you would probably want to format the drives you install. If that is acceptable, then I would recommend a NAS.
I don't recommend a build your own NAS, just because the commercial units are so polished and plug-and-play.
You could definitely get a 1030 GPU and continue as before.

Reactions: Hai Ngo
Solution