Online Storage Options

mystikmedia

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2006
I have a very large video collection (and other files, but the videos are what make it use so much space) that I want to backup. Since the storage size is so large, it's difficult to have redundancy locally, and I VERY much want to have that...especially after an incident last year. Plus, there are some other benefits to having the backup "in the cloud". Anyway, I had been using Amazon Cloud Drive. My upstream bandwidth is sadly relatively slow. So, it's taking forever to upload it all, but I have been working on it for months, and am now maybe 3/4 the way finished! Lately, the speed has become awful, though. Whereas I was getting consistently 4.2mbps (or more sometimes if I used Speedify with my phone tethered), now I am getting at best half that, and at worst in the low to mid hundreds kbps. I use software called CloudBerry Backup. I have done speedtest, uploaded to other sites, etc., and it seems normal outside of this. So, my questions are: is anyone else having these problems currently? If so, what are you doing? Amazon Cloud Drive seems to be the best solution for me considering the size of my backup and pricing. However, if I have to, I would go elsewhere. Though I am heavily invested in CloudBerry Backup (after purchase and two upgrades - I'm up to Ultimate now...that's several hundred dollars). Not sure yet if any of their other online storage options would work. Any thoughts? Thanks!

mystikmedia

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2006
I have a local copy of the files using drives in a FlexRAID setup. I don't have the funds to buy an additional set of drives for redundancy. I do have a lot of it backed up onto another set or drives, but not 100%. Plus, although unlikely, I would like to have the added protection in case something happens here locally (disaster).

I wish I had fiber. I have 100 Mbps downstream (which I am happy enough with), but I am stuck with the sad 4 Mbps upstream. I have also tethered my phone to PC and used Speedify software to bound the two connections into one. This has helped me achieve as much as double the speed (sometimes less, but it has helped. I am on an unlimited mobile plan.)

I was getting the speed I expect until maybe 3-5 days ago. And, like I said, I have done speed tests and uploaded to other places still with the speed I expect.

mystikmedia

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2006
A lot has changed since I made this post.

4 TB is not enough in my case.

Amazon Cloud Drive did away with unlimited. So, I had to switch to a different provider. Using Box now, which is a lot more expensive in my case, unfortunately.

I also switched to using GoodSync for software.

I now have a 25 Mbps upstream business line too. So, it goes a lot faster. Again, more expensive, though. :/

It's costing a lot now. So, always have an eye out to see if something better comes along.

iantigone

Prominent
Sep 11, 2017
Another option would be buy a hard-drive docking station. Then buy some hard drives and do the backup's you need to do. Once you are done making the backup just place the drives in a bank deposit box. Sure there going to be a upfront cost doing it this way. But it should be cheaper in the long term though.

kep55

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I have 3 NAS boxes totaling around 16TB (8TB + 4TB + 4TB) connected through a wireless router configured as an access point. I use the 8TB as network backup. For all the more they cost anymore, I just add boxes as needed.