Online video lag HELP

SilverRain162

Honorable
Jan 26, 2014
I've been all over the forums every where but none of the solutions have helped whenever i watch a video he audio is perfectly fine but the video itself is quite laggy the computer i'm using i built out of old laptop parts I've found all the drivers including the motherboard sensitive ones things like skype run fine and i'm on chrome so its not my flash player and I've run CCleaner everyday as well as the browser cleaner in chrome to see if that would help, my computer specs are

Compaq Presario V2405US
RAM 894mb
DDR 150GB
processor mobile amd 3000+
graphics card ATI readeon xpress 200m

oh and connection spee is fine cause i wath youtube on other devices at 720p no problem

any help would be great thanks

Solution

The...

The video chip is only 32MB, the CPU is Socket A with only 38million die transistors which is inbetween a Pentium III and one of the first Pentium 4 Willamette of only 1.6-1.7 Ghz.. and the RAM seems is not compatible in speed or a module is damaged... with 896MB detected you are probably running two 512MB modules so one is only registering 384MB from 512MB.

Suggestions:
1. Try replacing the bad RAM module with one of the same speed as the other module, or if possible replace both modules with DDR PC3200 or DDR PC2700, DDR (non-ECC) for a total of 2GB.

2. As for the CPU it's a Sempron 3000+ which had a small caché so it was not so good and by now to slow.. You could replace it with a Athlon XP-M.

3. The graphics chip could do better if you remove any custom Display settings. That is, use the Windows Classic Theme, and configure the Control Panel > System > Advanced > Performance > Settings > Adjust for Best Performance.

4. Disable some Windows Services like remote assistance and all related sevices, remote registry, computer browser, server, telnet, telephony, etc. To disable other services, search for information on "which Windows XP Services can be safely disabled".

5. To optimize system performance, apply the suggestions I gave here:
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1863469/slow.html

6. Another option would be to install a OS that's appropriate for your low resources hardware. Maybe enlighten your XP with "nLite" or install a Linux distro. Links here: http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1964042/computer-complete-cleaning-figure.html

Solution

SilverRain162

Honorable
Jan 26, 2014
well i have replaced my memory cards as being i'm low on cash right now i can't buy new parts for this laptop its a bit of a speaial case my mom bought it a long time ago because sh needed a laptop for writing she ordrd this one and when it came in the person who wiped it wiped the drive wrong so yu couldn't reinstall the os i replaced the drve plus the two memory on it (umm do you know how to un sloutionize the forum i accedently hit it) everything in this computr is brand new and working fine except watching videos on the internet some wor fine but most of them lag so bad its like watching a slide show of gifs trying to fix tis problem has been a big pain considering upgrading the OS to windows 7

Well, one memory module is not working to full capacity and that is probably the main cause for the videos lagging. I have experience with old computers myself so I know weak and unpaired RAM can be a real problem.

Windows 7 will make the problem worse... what you need is some lighter OS to get reasonble speed from the hardware... Puppy Linux is very light on system requirements and some other Linux distros can work faster than Windows XP on that computer. One other advantgage is that Linux distros can display better video than Windows if the video in question was optimally recorded.

TheWeirdOne

Honorable
Jan 7, 2013

You said some of them work fine, and some are slideshows.. I know sounds stupid, but try turning down resolution? New flash player is quite needy in resources, especially chrome. With the specs you have, i wouldnt hope watching 720p videos. Also, videos you watch are filmed with camera or digitally created (game videos etc?). I've found myself working with few computers that could run fine movie on 480 while would get choppy watching digitally created video (ff-advent children to name an example).

SilverRain162

Honorable
Jan 26, 2014
i've tried the hardwre acceleration bit and i only go up to 320p as far as videos go on this computer the hardware acceleration makes problems worse thank you for all your help but i think these older computers just don't have the tech in them to keep up to par with things now days i think i'll start saving for a new computer thank you for your time