OnLive Desktop Now Uses Windows Server 2008R2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
[citation][nom]Flameout[/nom]hosting without linux? fail[/citation]While many Windows games have dedicated servers that run on Linux, the clients don't. Until Wine works reliably (and faster) they don't have a choice, especially in a multi-user environment. The only other option is to use OS X with ported versions of the clients but that obviously isn't going to be cheaper, especially since there is only one hardware vendor.

robertking82881

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2008
Microsoft is has most used os in the entire world and most likely the richest company to date yet they worrie about loseing a few dollors… its not like onlive is not paying the software

fixxxer113

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
Normally, if you want to license windows client OS for virtual desktops, every user has to obtain a VDA license. This Licesne is a subscription service that would cost OnLive about $100 a year (without taxes etc.) for every user. So the most probable scenario in order to comply with Microsoft, would be to transfer that cost to the user's subscription. What probably happened was that OnLive probably did not have those licenses for every user and probably did not want that extra cost on their service.

On the other hand, sending desktops remotely from Windows Server, requires a Remote Desktop Services license for every user (on-off purchase, no subscriptions), which is a lot cheaper.

Of course working with the Server desktop is not recommended, for functionality and security reasons, but it seems that OnLive did not like the alternative.

Microsoft is putting a big obstacle in virtual desktop implementations with this subscription model and a lot of companies and users worldwide have complained. This leads to many companies not using these licenses and just hoping never to be audited. IMO, Microsoft should just put virtual desktop rights in every windows license and stop asking for money every year. The whole point of setting up virtual desktops, especially in a large scale, is that is a hell of a lot cheaper than buying the equivalent number of actual PCs.

There are a lot of free versions of Hypervisor software these days (even Microsoft's own Hyper-V), servers are cheap and powerful, thin clients also. The only thing that messes up the whole model is Microsoft's VDA Licensing...

igot1forya

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2008
I wonder if they had to negotiate some kind of TS CAL agreement which is why the switch to 2008R2. I can only imagine the next EULA update from MS regarding these types of services.

[citation][nom]robertking82881[/nom]Microsoft is has most used os in the entire world and most likely the richest company to date yet they worrie about loseing a few dollors… its not like onlive is not paying the software[/citation]

M$ is not the wealthiest company and it was a legitimate complaint on M$'s part when OnLive failed to meet the licensing requirements for Windows. Whether or not the licensing is fair is a different story that should also be dealt with, but illegitimately using Windows is technically stealing even if the legitimate way to use it in this scenario means either spending far more money/charging customers far more money than they want to or jumping through hoops.

As for using the server version instead, it shouldn't be difficult to fix any problems that the default installation has with UI/touch. I use Windows Server 2008r2 x64 on some of my machines because it is faster and a lot memory lighter than Windows 7 (not as good as XP in that, but it's close and it has increased functionality over XP so it's a fair compromise, whereas Vista and 7 use way to much resources).

If OnLive using the server solves the licensing probem, then they should solve the user interaction problem themselves. It's easy, just use a few small third party programs (may of which are freeware anyway). It wouldn't cost OnLive any more if they use freeware to fix this problem and I fail to understand why they haven't unless they want to give more reasons for being mad at M$.

Still, glad that they have compromised with M$ because it means that they get to continue providing their service.

MarioJP

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2007
[citation][nom]Vladislaus[/nom]What does OnLive desktop have to do with gaming?[/citation]

Onlive is not used for desktop. Its a gaming streaming service, and because 99% of pc gaming runs on windows and only 1% of Linux does has something to do with gaming.

tokencode

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2010
[citation][nom]Flameout[/nom]hosting without linux? fail[/citation]
Having managed 40k end-users in a hosted in environment for various enterprise applications that do not support linux, I would say your comment=fail.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]mariojp[/nom]Onlive is not used for desktop. Its a gaming streaming service, and because 99% of pc gaming runs on windows and only 1% of Linux does has something to do with gaming.[/citation]
I will repeat, please read the article. Their using Windows 2008 R2 for their Onlive Desktop product, it has nothing to do with gaming. It has to do with the ability to use windows and office while using for example a tablet or smartphone. Also Windows 2008 is hardly an ideal platform for gaming since quite a few games have issues with it.

If you want to know more please go to the link I posted in the above comment.

MarioJP

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2007
This does not make any sense whatsoever. Onlive is suppose to be the next big thing in gaming. This is going to flop for the application. a virtual desktop on a tablet?? really??

Status
Not open for further replies.