OnLive Shutting Its Doors As Sony Buys Its Patent Portfolio

Status
Not open for further replies.

hasten

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2007
1.8 billion. And they didn't immediately look to sell. Who was running this company, a spider monkey?? All of us knew this is a glass house due to latency and the casual Angry Birds crowd loses interest immediately. 1.8 billion. smh

Don Reba

Reputable
Apr 3, 2015
Wasn't OnLive closed in 2012?

"For a technology which is supposedly going to completely change the way we access and consume videogames, cloud gaming is certainly having a bumpy start. The latest chapter in the saga of OnLive, the hugely ambitious and much hyped cloud service, is perhaps the murkiest yet, with the company being shut down and its assets shuffled quickly into a new company, managed by the same CEO - leaving investors and staff in the original company high and dry."

blackbeard34

Honorable
Jan 23, 2013
The technology is ahead of its time much like all things; especially considering the revised 'broadband' definitions. I'm sorry grandma your crappy 'dsl' is not considered broadband anymore.

atavax

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
I think cloud is the future, how far off is a big question, but with net neutrality protected and comcast announcing plans for nationwide 2Gb/s by the end of 2015, i'm thinking sooner rather than later. I think the latency issue while important to many pc gamers, isn't as much to the philistines that think 30 fps is the fastest the eye can interpret. Nvidia is setting up hubs for cloud gaming, Microsoft has been since before the launch of the xbone. Sony needs to if they're going to be ready for the next gen. A very cheap device with a monthly subscription, which seems to be the concept, could even be very tempting to members of the master race, especially with the rising cost of videocards. If desktops weren't the more expensive option before, they're going to be with cloud gaming in the future, by a large margin.

The technology is ahead of its time much like all things; especially considering the revised 'broadband' definitions. I'm sorry grandma your crappy 'dsl' is not considered broadband anymore.

How does the revised definition effect anything? Beyond alerting consumers what they should expect as a minimum for broadband. It doesn't make slower plans any less capable.

If definitions didn't change. Every Windows and Mac computer I owned since my Powermac G4 would be considered a supercomputer and they couldn't be sold outside of the US without special licensing to friendly nations.

coolkev99

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2008
Latency.
Reduced graphic fidelity.
100% Dependence on the internet.
Pay monthly or all your games go bye-bye.

Sounds great, I can't believe it failed.

Yeah for me, playing games on onlive was like playing with a reverse anisotropic filtering... about negative 32 or something. I gave it the "wow me in 1 hour or I'm gone" treatment way back when.

PancakePuppy

Honorable
Dec 18, 2013
I was in OnLive's closed beta before they launched. It was terrible then and I just couldn't believe it would last. I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did.

f-14

Distinguished
CLOUD FAILURE IMMINENT
"essentially buying a game that's stored in the cloud, will not see a refund. These games will no longer be available after April 30, 2015."

WE TOLD YOU SO!
CLOUD FAIL, CLOUD FAIL, PARTY TIME EXCELLENT SCREW YOU CLOUD USERS, 'GOT YOUR $$$$$$MONEY$$$$$ NOW GO PISS OFF!

At least onlive was small potatoes. Imagine all those digital purchases from Nintendo / Sony / Valve going up in smoke. Ok, Microsoft too. Nobody trusted again, ever. It's bad enough that just about any game nowadays needs a day one patch just to function adequately. Imagine a world where that server's offline. *sadface*

In 10 years, we'll all be dusting off our NES, SNES, N64 consoles and thanking the heavens they still work lol.

G

I guess I'm the only one that liked their service. It was really decent, but the mouse lag was too much. Not really their fault, more my internet.

What's going to happen to all their custom ASIC? Sold to who? A lot of that hardware is custom and only has one use.

surphninja

Honorable
May 14, 2013
"Customers who purchased a PlayPass, which was essentially buying a game that's stored in the cloud, will not see a refund. These games will no longer be available after April 30, 2015."

Exactly why gamers fear moving away from games stored on a physical medium, as they tried with the new Xbox, and why you should never invest much in a game that relies on the servers for playability. Eventually, the servers will come down.

Also why I'll never play another MMO, unless they agree to release the server code should they ever shut down.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
Shame, but ultimately expected. Subscription based to the most fickle gamers with the least capable hardware. They were never going to win in the face of Steam. RIP Onlive, we won't remember you this time next year.

ddt529

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
Never had faith that this service would take off. Now if steam streaming could be made accessible outside of your local network that would be a great alternative.

Status
Not open for further replies.