OnLive Weekend Sale Sees DNF, AvP Reduced to $5, More

Status
Not open for further replies.

upgrade_1977

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
Just tried it again. Still laggy as hell.. I'd definitely be interested if not for the lag. Although, might buy it just so I can play skyrim at work. Not really a game where lag is a huge deal. On a side note, I have a wired xbox 360 connected up to a low end pc at work, and it works great with it, no need to set it up or anything, onlive picks it up even works in onlives menu system, so thats pretty cool. :)

thejerm

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
Why is this newsworthy? I've seen all of these games for the same price or cheaper from Steam and Origin. If you're any sort of computer enthusiast, you don't need to settle for the inferior graphics quality of OnLive. How much did they pay you, Tom's?

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
onlive poses the biggest threat to gameing ever.

publishers dont want you to have any stake in the game you own.
publishers dont want to spend money on anti piracy

onlive makes it so you dont own the game, have any freedom with the game, and is an anti piracy to boot.

the moment that internet gets here for everyone, and onlive is so pervasive that its within 100 miles of where you live where ever you are, why would they ever sell a game outside of it again?

most people are ok with the reduced graphics, usually i am one of those people, but when a 100$ gpu can output better graphics than that service, i have problems with it.

i see no reason why this shouldnt be a threat to everyone who plays videogames, not just pc gamers but console gamers too... if fact they have it worse off, because they are already use to the restrictions that consoles bring, pc gamers are just getting starting to get the worst of it because of consoles.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
So pay for a game you do not own, don't have any ability to get greater gfx from once the hardware is upgraded/changed and with both gfx and input lag, its not available when the internet is down....

OR pay for a game that you own, can tweak to your hearts desire, get upgraded gfx in whenever you choose to upgrade and is always playable without gfx / input lag issues... tough choice indeed /end sarcasm.

upgrade_1977

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]onlive poses the biggest threat to gameing ever..[/citation]

Relax man, I've been playing for a few hours today at work.. Trust me, it's no threat.. The network lag is so bad, it makes most games unplayable, the in game graphics are horrid, and while I played batman arkham city for 1/2 hour free trial with no in game freezing, I played "driver" and the game kept freezing on me while I was doing an online race. Basically every game I tried with the free trial, was laggy or freezing, and bad graphics. I think onlive is over priced for what you get. It'd be great, but I think they are years away from making it a good customer experience. Don't get me wrong, i'm not anti onlive, it's a neat idea, but it's just not ready for prime time. I'd much rather spend the money on PC games or (choke) even a console than spend my money on onlive.

There is one good thing about it though, Any game that you want to try that doesn't have a demo, you can try it and see if you like it before going to steam or the store to buy it.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
Their service sucks. For most games, it is easy to notice the lag

On top of the performance issues, you end up with a game that you are spending almost the games full price in order to rent for a limited time.

The service has already pulled many games. Basically their reasoning is they reserve the right to remove any game if popularity goes down, or if an unknown time limit passes as part of their agreement with the game publisher.

Either way, you are paying full price for games that may only last a few months to 1-2 years before they take them down.

upgrade_1977

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
Alright, just got done trying just cause 2 for like 5 minutes... The game is stuttering so bad,looks like it's on low settings, getting about 25-30 FPS max I bet. You can tell it's game lag not server lag..

G

Actually, it is a huge threat, people will grow accustomed to this kind of thing and the time will come when lag is not an issue.

The main thing is, you are supporting with your $$$ a business model when you are literally receiving nothing, not even a download or a license, **nothing** for your cash.

It sends a message to the rest of the publishers out there, and while might as well be 10 years or more before we see the widespread of game streaming, more and more publishers can take note that people have no sense of worth for their money and can implement more always online single player drm with increasing parts of the code permanently sitting on their servers.

G

On live may be good for slow point and click adventures or non-time-critical strategy games.

But it is a pain in the plaza for every shooter or simulation. No wonder, they still have between 20 and 60ms lag, thats a hell lot of. And I doubt this will ever change, because thats the basic lag of the internet and it has been with us since 1990.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
Thanks for the advertisement I guess? But I am going to have to pass. The service isn't great and the graphics don't match up to even to just a decent PC today. Lag and inferior graphics is something I'm not interested in.

I would also like to point out this is a streaming service with not even the option to download the game. A streaming service that is still very young and flawed and has no guarantee of success.
A sale this large at once at a non-important retail date of the year suggests it was made out of desperation for extra sales to generate revenue. If OnLive goes bankrupt you lose your games and that's it they are gone. At-least with other services you have a version of the game that if need be would be fully capable of bypassing any DRM protection to play anyways even if the distributor folds up.

fuzzion

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2012
Been playing computer games, well since commodore 64. No, the PC is here to stay, at least
and until owning a game rig costs more than a monthly pay check.

chomlee

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
[citation][nom]upgrade_1977[/nom]Relax man, I've been playing for a few hours today at work.. Trust me, it's no threat..[/citation]

So, are you a beta testor or something or game evaluator for the media or are you just doing something you shouldn't be doing at work? I guess you can say we are all guilty in a way, I probably shouldn't be reading or posting on Tom's hardware while at work either but I will tell you, if I got caught playing games while at work, my butt would be gone.

jackbling

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
I was completely against this; at first.

For me, this in no way competes with my PC, however this does give me a way to play pc games, from my phone with hdmi out and a Bluetooth controller. The lag to my phone is acceptable.

Though i do agree that these type services will likely be the death of gaming as we know it, but the way the industry is headed, not giving onlive a few dollars isnt changing anything. Between outlandish piracy claims, and pandering to share holders (ITS THE BANKERS AND STOCK MARKETS I TELLS YA), a more locked down environment is inevitable.

upgrade_1977

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
[citation][nom]chomlee[/nom]So, are you a beta testor or something or game evaluator for the media or are you just doing something you shouldn't be doing at work? I guess you can say we are all guilty in a way, I probably shouldn't be reading or posting on Tom's hardware while at work either but I will tell you, if I got caught playing games while at work, my butt would be gone.[/citation]

I wish, actually I work in a pawn shop. Sometimes we are so busy I can't sit down all day, other times we are so slow I can watch a whole movie before a customer comes in. My boss's and the owner are really cool at my work, which is great cuz I actually enjoy being at work. We have 7 computers at work, but only 2 of them are powerful enough to play games. My buddy at work has a dell xps with a quad core and two 7900gt's, but he doesn't like coworkers playing on it, and the other one is being used most of the time, so mostly I'm on a slower computer just working on ebay, watching movies, youtube, or just on the internet. Don't really game up at work a lot because of that. We do have consoles up at work, and sometimes I play that, but most of our good games sell the same day they are put out on the floor. I was thinking of bringing my home gaming pc in to work, but it's liquid cooled, weighs bout 80lbs, and i'm not hauling that in every day... So I thought about subscribing to onlive last year so I could play at work, but the lag was bad then to, and it's way over priced. Think i'm gonna build a small portable gaming pc instead, or buy a gaming laptop.

(Oh yeah, tell your boss he's a jerkoff. If you work hard you deserve a lil time to relax, I worked in a bunch of factories, worked on cars, remodeled homes, worked as a mover, and was boss at a few jobs too. I've worked hard most of my life, so It's nice to have a job where the boss's treat you like your human. Honestly, if your boss doesn't appreciate the work you do for them, i'd move on. This is 2012 and we are in america, you don't have to take that crap anymore. I've only been fired one time, and it was because I dated the boss's daughter and when we broke up, he fired me. Every other time I quit, mostly because I don't like how they treat people, and I'll tell ya what, to me, thats the most important thing, how i'm treated at work (well, that and the pay). I've never looked back and regretted quitting a job, because most of the time I find a better job anyways. Most boss's just get power hungry, greedy, and lazy, pawn there work off on you.. I don't take that crap anymore. I actually had one job working in a BP gas station, and the boss was such a douche.. He looked like mister bean, and was banging this ugly chick at work, and thought he was hot ***, letting her get away with murder basically, and being a dick to everyone else. He made everyone stand all day, and wrote you up if you sat down, he would actually rewind the security tapes to see if you sat down. One time he actually yelled at me for bending paper clips when I was bored, said I was costing the company money.. LOL, they're fricken paper clips man!! but his girlfriend could do whatever she wanted, come in late, not do her job, ect ect. She basically got away with murder. Well, me and the other employee's all got sick of it, and we banded together, and all decided to quit on the same day. Mr. bean had to stay and work all our shifts that day, and I found out later "he" got fired that same week we all quit.

Anyways, sorry, got off track there and into story time, but I just thought i'd put my advice out there. Why support a company if they treat you like a crap?

Marthian

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
Until a majority if not all the US (and other areas) have better internet, Cloud Computing is not going to be as popular.

Until I can play online games at low ping rates, have two other family members stream netflix, and have my brother download stuff at the same time, cloud computing just isn't practical for me or anyone else with poor internet

G

"Hmmm, maybe i'll give this a try later tonight."

Good for You!!!. Maybe send out a tweet and get the word out!

Status
Not open for further replies.