Only 1.5M Surface Devices Sold Since October 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

greghome

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
Maybe......maybe......they should allow all retail stores to sell the Surfacem Tabs cause so far the main problem is people who wants it, can't get it because Microsoft stores aren't available outside of AMERICA............

icepick314

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2002
you don't market Surface Pro as a tablet...

you market Surface Pro as a ultrabook that can turn into a tablet form...

I want to get Surface Pro but I'll wait till at least 2nd gen with hopefully better and faster processor and RAM...

masterasia

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
It's too damn expensive. The stupid keyboard thing is an additional $100. That's BS. It needs to be in the $500 with the keyboard. Hopefully it will last longer than the Zune.

therogerwilco

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2009
I'm digging mine, I'll agree a little cheaper would be good. But the thing people don't realize is the PC market is slowing down because there's really nothing new out there that screams WOW!!!!

And don't talk about Apple products, the only people who buy those are not tech-smart. I mean cmon, the iphone has 1 button. Though they sold 128 million units of ipad's, look at their stocks! They make about 75% profit from every sale, yet the company is having money problems? Mhmm.

I'm just tired of all the Apple talk, I mean seriously, I hope Microsoft only releases one every other year if that, following suit to Apple is just moronic. I would love to see some legislation about 'companies can only release a new 'upgrade' to a product line once every 2 years. Then THAT would be a worthwhile purchase instead of burning through the cash like cell companies are doing and the sheeple who buy Apple crap.

mitchellvii

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007
I can solve MS whole problem right here. Put back the Start Button and give Desktop users a way to completely turn off Metro - problem solved. Now you can send my $1 million Consulting Fee to my PO Box.

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
[citation][nom]therogerwilco[/nom]And don't talk about Apple products, the only people who buy those are not tech-smart. I mean cmon, the iphone has 1 button.[/citation]
You clearly have not spent much time in the Apple world. I am a huge tech person, and I own three Apple products. Many of employees here at Tom's own Apple products. The broadcast television industry runs primarily off of Apple, and that entire industry is tech based. So your theory that Apple people are non-tech people is completely wrong. I'm sure there are many non-tech people using Apple products as well, but I'd be willing to bet there are many more non-tech people using Microsoft products.

Yes, there are "sheeple" out there that buy each and every upgrade Apple releases, but who are we to call them idiots? They can do whatever they want with their money.

Anyway, I like the Surface Pro a LOT, but I can't justify spending that kind of money on it unless it gives me something I don't already have. This in combination with my general distaste for Windows 8 has pretty much stopped me from buying it. And why would Microsoft prevent the sale of the Surface in any store but their own?? Just seems dumb considering that there aren't many Microsoft stores around the country (or the world). The nearest Microsoft store is 2 hours away from my house... if I drove there I would pass four Apple stores on the way.

Props to the Microsoft engineers that worked on the Surface though, because it is a good product--just a shame management is doing everything possible to ensure it doesn't succeed.

thermopyle

Honorable
Mar 11, 2013
[citation][nom]therogerwilco[/nom]I would love to see some legislation about 'companies can only release a new 'upgrade' to a product line once every 2 years. Then THAT would be a worthwhile purchase instead of burning through the cash like cell companies are doing and the sheeple who buy Apple crap.[/citation]
...I imagine Ford, GM, Intel, AMD, nVidia, ATI, etc., would have issues with this.

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
Availability is definitely an issue. They need to broaden the accessible market. BestBuy and online at Microsoft simply won't cut it. The price is a little rough, but considering the specs it's not all that terrible. It's on the high end of reasonable, as opposed to being unreasonable. The other issue is salesmanship. In other words, I've seen plenty of commercials about the Surface itself. I haven't seen any promotion of the apps available to the device. For example, the Twitter thing I only realized was done when I read this story. They've got some problems, that's for sure.

How did they not see this coming? Tailoring their main product, the Windows OS, to fit the new tablet format was a huge mistake. Tablets and desktops are complimentary, not intercheangeable. Not only they failed at addressing the new market, they also hurt their captive market in the process. Windows 8 should not have happened.

JPForums

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2007
Sources claim that Microsoft has only sold around 1.5 million Surface units total since the Windows RT version launched in late October.
You do know that Microsoft isn't the only maker of Windows tablets don't you. It's true that windows tablets aren't seeing the adoption that some would like, but representing the entire ecosystem based on the success of two products from a brand new player in the hardware market is going a little far. Frankly, most new entrants into an established market don't even do as well as Microsoft has.

That said, I'm not sure Windows RT will be in it for the long haul, despite the early sales figures of Surface RT being more than double that of Surface Pro. Windows RT doesn't benefit from x86 compatibility and thus claims no major advantages over its Android/iOS counterparts. Microsoft's philosophy with tablets (it would seem) is productivity first, entertainment second. Their so called ace in the hole is compatibility with the existing x86 ecosystem. There is also a niche for people who want to load software easily without the need to wade through the market place to get to it (think open source, company proprietary, etc.). I've encountered a surprisingly large number of people who don't understand why they can't use their old Windows software on their Android (or windows RT) tablet. They are surprisingly resistant to alternative (even superior) software available for their platform. This group also largely happens to be the type to only want one "computer" and don't consider it worth the money to get more than one. They'll spend a fair amount more on a tablet that they can run their old software on if it means they can avoid purchasing a PC.

So what's the problem? The price is currently more than a fair amount higher and lower battery life makes it feel less like a tablet than a poorly formed laptop. Windows 8 will be much better off when Intel releases the new Atom architecture and Haswell hits the market. Atom based windows 8 tablets should bring the necessary performance at prices closer RT levels while also maintaining comparable battery life to other tablets. Haswell will better line up with mostly laptop/sometimes tablet convertible crowd in that the battery life should be much closer to mobile territory than current Ivy Bridge based tablets. Of course AMD's Kabini and Temash should also help in this regard.

The question is, will it be too late by then? Android has had convertibles for a good while now. Apple also has a sufficiently surface like keyboard on hand. If either of these players get sufficiently embedded in business with a strong suite of productivity software, they may displace Microsoft. Unfortunately for Microsoft, it seems more than a few businesses are pushing iPads already.

SvRommelvS

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013
Had a chance to tinker with one in Staples over the weekend. I was immediately struck but how cheap the unit felt. Also, the screen should fill more of the bezel. Win8 really demands more real estate anyway, since most of its recognition iconography is text-based rather than image based. All in all, not particularly impressed.

animeman59

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
"The Redmond company claims that more than 47,000 are currently available, yet there are more than 300,000 apps for iPad."

Why do people keep making this comparison? Who the hell uses 300,000 apps on their tablet? Does that somehow make Apple's, or anyone's, app market that much better than Microsoft's considering that everyone uses the same damn apps anyway?

koss64

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
After watching the demo toms had for the surface pro im totally sold on it, I just have two problems, one I cant get it as I dont live in America and second Its priced way too high,plus the price for the keyboard is just plain ridiculous(even though if probably just use the handwriting feature).

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]Murissokah[/nom]How did they not see this coming? Tailoring their main product, the Windows OS, to fit the new tablet format was a huge mistake. Tablets and desktops are complimentary, not intercheangeable. Not only they failed at addressing the new market, they also hurt their captive market in the process. Windows 8 should not have happened.[/citation]

Yeah, they tried to force a majority of their windows users to adopt a new version of windows UI few like just so they think they will buy the surface as well, ending up selling neither. Sounds like a Steve Balmer strategy alright - Kick out that clown and get some clever people who understands that the free minded customers buy what they like - Not what MS wants them to... (we are not talking sheeps here =))

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
Windows 8 and the laptop/tablet convertible devices that run it are more of a long-term upgrade path rather than a rush-to-buy-it or gotta-have-it kind of thing. Check back in 5 years and you will see that a lot of people (and businesses) decided to adopt a windows 8 device as long as they were already upgrading their hardware. And by the way, MS has the resources to wait it out.

LORD_ORION

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
So, in the war to knock out Apple iOS, Windows RT does in 6 months what Android does in 1 day?

-iOS is well established and steady, and they have solid anti-piracy stats to attract developers.

-The good Android manufacturers are about to shotgun blast the entry level tablet markets with good products (look at the CES announcements, you're going to see $150ish 7-inch Android tablets that have comparable specs to the iPad mini).

-Windows RT is about to be buried in the Zune graveyard

pacomac

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
[citation][nom]therogerwilco[/nom]And don't talk about Apple products, the only people who buy those are not tech-smart. I mean cmon, the iphone has 1 button. Though they sold 128 million units of ipad's, look at their stocks! They make about 75% profit from every sale, yet the company is having money problems? Mhmm.I'm just tired of all the Apple talk, I mean seriously, I hope Microsoft only releases one every other year if that, following suit to Apple is just moronic. I would love to see some legislation about 'companies can only release a new 'upgrade' to a product line once every 2 years. Then THAT would be a worthwhile purchase instead of burning through the cash like cell companies are doing and the sheeple who buy Apple crap.[/citation]

I do have to read some crap on here. I have more tech knowledge in my little finger than most on this site. I have written software for just about every mobile platform in existence and from a programmers point of view iOS is the best and most rewarding mobile platform I've used. It's essentially Mac OS with a Cocoa Touch layer on top, in other words a REAL OS... I'll not go into specifics and have a dig at Android, but most Programmers including myself are not fans of Java.

Just because you haven't got the cash to splash out on new hardware every 6 months doesn't mean I want to wait 2 years as you suggested. I'm a fan of technology in general, and have splashed out on all sorts of hardware from all manufacturers, including 2 Android tablets (I'm not an Apple fanboy).

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
RT is a joke., a maligned Windows 8 OS that really isn't a full windows so you are tied to an app store that isn't ready. Yea, everyone is going to want one (sarcasm). Surface Pro?, that is what the MS tablet should have been in the first place but it is way overpriced and now no one understands whether is runs the fake Win8 or the real Win8. Then there is MS Windows 8, seriously? A tablet OS forced on the public regardless of whether you own a tablet or not?

Had Intel released only one tablet OS, the PRO from the beginning and MS had made a boot option on their Windows 8 for tablet or desktop operation, it is likely their tablets would be selling much better and the PC industry would be going strong.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
RT is a joke., a maligned Windows 8 OS that really isn't a full windows so you are tied to an app store that isn't ready. Yea, everyone is going to want one (sarcasm). Surface Pro?, that is what the MS tablet should have been in the first place but it is way overpriced and now no one understands whether is runs the fake Win8 or the real Win8. Then there is MS Windows 8, seriously? A tablet OS forced on the public regardless of whether you own a tablet or not?

Had Intel released only one tablet OS, the PRO from the beginning and MS had made a boot option on their Windows 8 for tablet or desktop operation, it is likely their tablets would be selling much better and the PC industry would be going strong.

pacomac

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
Tablets are here to stay, and Microsoft needed to have an OS that was equipped for touch. It's not perfect, but in the long Windows 8 Pro tablets will do just fine. The Windows 8 App Store is lacking developer support at the minute, but that will come eventually. Windows RT was always dead before it started, and most of us developers knew it, which is why we've given it a wide birth.

nick normal

Honorable
Mar 18, 2013
If 1.5M Surface devices have sold with each user spending an approximate $900 in total value (for unit, keyboard, additional accessories, etc.), how is $1.35Billion paltry? While the iPad is only made+sold by Apple, MS is competing with their own vendors, and they just made a billion bucks. Please respond. #kthxbai

Status
Not open for further replies.