[SOLVED] Only 1 out of 3 PSU's I own will work with my system. Help!

Mar 6, 2021
Ok so I was able to get my hands on an RTX 3070 a couple weeks ago. I found out that I needed a PSU with more wattage (mine was only 500W) so I decided to pull a Corsair HX750 from an older PC that I don't use much anymore. After hooking everything up, all I got was a half second of fans starting up and then nothing. I put my old GTX1070 back in and tried that with the HX750, nothing again. Put my old PSU back in and it works just fine. Put the HX750 back in my old pc and voila, it works.

So at this point I'm pretty puzzled. I tried as many configurations as I could think of: Not inserting the 8pin mobo power cable, not hooking either graphics card up to the PSU, just taking out the graphics card completely and having nothing plugged in but the power cable; nothing happening. I finally threw in the towel and bought a raidmax vortex 735W from a local PC supply store. Took it home, plugged it all in and again, same thing.

Needless to say I'm kind of at my wits end and have absolutely no clue what I'm doing wrong or what the issue could be.
I have:
Asus X-99 M motherboard
i7-6800k
gtx 1070/rtx3070
and three different power supplies, of which the only one working is the one that can't power my new graphics card. I would so happy for any kind of feedback on this from anyone with more expertise than me! Thanks for reading.

Solution
Hmm well I'm using the same 6pin SATA cables that are already installed and cable managed in my case, but other than that the 24pin, PCIE, and 8pin are all original. Could the SATA cables be causing issues?

Yeah. That's the problem. You can't do that.

Lucky you didn't fry something.
Ok so I was able to get my hands on an RTX 3070 a couple weeks ago. I found out that I needed a PSU with more wattage (mine was only 500W) so I decided to pull a Corsair HX750 from an older PC that I don't use much anymore. After hooking everything up, all I got was a half second of fans starting up and then nothing. I put my old GTX1070 back in and tried that with the HX750, nothing again. Put my old PSU back in and it works just fine. Put the HX750 back in my old pc and voila, it works.

So at this point I'm pretty puzzled. I tried as many configurations as I could think of: Not inserting the 8pin mobo power cable, not hooking either graphics card up to the PSU, just taking out the graphics card completely and having nothing plugged in but the power cable; nothing happening. I finally threw in the towel and bought a raidmax vortex 735W from a local PC supply store. Took it home, plugged it all in and again, same thing.

Needless to say I'm kind of at my wits end and have absolutely no clue what I'm doing wrong or what the issue could be.
I have:
Asus X-99 M motherboard
i7-6800k
gtx 1070/rtx3070
and three different power supplies, of which the only one working is the one that can't power my new graphics card. I would so happy for any kind of feedback on this from anyone with more expertise than me! Thanks for reading.
Does the system boot to windows with the 500 watt PSU and the RTX 3070? If not, you may need to update your motherboard bios, but I'm not positive. It's about 5-6 year old motherboard. BTW, the Raidmax PSU you bought is a pile of garbage.

Mar 6, 2021
Does the system boot to windows with the 500 watt PSU and the RTX 3070? If not, you may need to update your motherboard bios, but I'm not positive. It's about 5-6 year old motherboard. BTW, the Raidmax PSU you bought is a pile of garbage.

Ya my system will boot to windows with the 500W PSU, haven't tried any games yet but I imagine that will be too much power draw. And great lol of course it is.

Mar 6, 2021
Ya my system will boot to windows with the 500W PSU, haven't tried any games yet but I imagine that will be too much power draw. And great lol of course it is.

I'll check out the mobo bios and see if I need to update it. I bought the PC in 2017 and I think I checked for updates a couple of years ago but it wouldn't hurt to look that up

I have:
Asus X-99 M motherboard
i7-6800k
gtx 1070/rtx3070

You're using the cables that came with the PSU, right? You're not mixing the cables up between the Corsair, the old 500W and the Raidmax are you?

Reactions: Archaic59
Mar 6, 2021
Hmm well I'm using the same 6pin SATA cables that are already installed and cable managed in my case, but other than that the 24pin, PCIE, and 8pin are all original. Could the SATA cables be causing issues?