Question Only 1 speaker works after x amount of time? (Intermittent and buzz noise)

denniskuz

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2014
I have 2 issues which happen usually once or twice a day but there doesn't seem to be anything specific that causes the issue.

I have:

2 x Yamaha HS5 Monitor
1 x Yamaha YSTFSW100 Subwoofer

Asus Xonar DX 7.1 Sound Card
(I don't think any other hardware matters?)

The issue itself:

No issue with the subwoofer. One speaker will cease to work properly out of nowhere, whether playing music or not. It may not output any music/sounds besides a buzz/fuzzy noise or it may work at like like 10-15% volume with that buzz. Then a second issue, which is actually terrifying. The speakers will blast at 100% volume, yet not being set that high, a blaring buzzing/fuzzy noise. It stops when I stop whatever music/video i'm playing. If i press play again, it sometimes stops and goes back to normal, sometimes it doesn't. Everything get's fixed when I reboot the computer. No matter what drivers I seem to use, Asus' own or Windows', I appear to get this issue.

Any ideas would be appreciated!

Ralston18

Titan
How are the speakers and subwoofer all connected? Audio connections and power connections?

Test speaker/sound system using another audio source(s) if at all possible.

Determine if the problems continue.

Could be heat related. Okay when cool but once warmed up, something expands and causes a short.

Look in Reliability History for any error codes, warnings, or even informational events that correspond with the audio failures or loud blasts.

Task Manager and Resource Monitor may prove helpful with discovering something.

denniskuz

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2014
All connected into Xonar sound card with 3mm jacks. Power connections all to separate plug sockets in an extension lead.

I don't have any other way to hook it up to another audio source besides my laptop/phone. But that would just be the two HS5 monitors.

Heat may be an idea actually. But I somewhat doubt it'll be related just because sometimes it's fine regardless of temperature or the length of how long it's been running. If that would be the case I'm not sure how i'd test it or fix it for that matter.

I've had a search and couldn't find the same issue. But I just have a feeling it's my soundcard. I bought it in 2012 so it's getting old now.

What would i look for on those applications?