[SOLVED] Only 14GB out of 16GB available with IGPU turned off in BIOS?

Feb 9, 2022
Hello everybody,

i have the following annoying problem and i hope somebody here can help me out:

In Task-Manager it says that only 14.2GB of RAM are available because 1.8GB of RAM are HW reserved.
Now i do have an i7 6700K but i disabled the IGPU in BIOS. My 2 Monitors are connected directly to my Nvidia Card. Why the f* is my System still
reserving RAM for the IGPU? It cant be for my Nvidia Card with 11GB of RAM so it has to be the igpu. Does somone now how i can turn the igpu
completely off or at least reduce the reserved RAM down to like 256MB?
I´ve got about 5.4GB usage when idling with a couple of programs open on my second Monitor. But those reserved 2GB of RAM would be useful in some
applications and games where i hit the 14GB Limit.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
it shouldn't reserve that much for igpu.
the Nvidia card likely uses about 55mb of it

its not the shared amount as it can take as much as half your ram. And it is unlikely to use that much. or reserve any of it.

Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the error. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors.
Memtest is created as a bootable USB so that you don’t need windows to run it

14gb isn't limit, its just how much ram you have before PC starts to struggle as it has to run more of windows on the page file. Your limit probably about 30gb but you don't want to run off page file.

Colif

Win 11 Master

its not the shared amount as it can take as much as half your ram. And it is unlikely to use that much. or reserve any of it.

Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the error. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors.

14gb isn't limit, its just how much ram you have before PC starts to struggle as it has to run more of windows on the page file. Your limit probably about 30gb but you don't want to run off page file.

Last edited:
Solution
Feb 9, 2022

Thank you for your advice so far.

I just bought another 16 GB of RAM so I dont run into these kind of problems.
I couldnt find my Original RAM Sticks anywhere so i had to buy just slightly different ones. They are from the same Series and just have different timings and speeds.
Obviously they dont work together that well, which is why i fail the RAM Test in Prime95.
Which settings should i use to get these 4 Sticks to work with each other?
I thought 3Ghz with the timings from the new sticks should work at best but i have trouble setting them up in the ASUS Bios.

I did run my Original RAM through memtest and didnt got any Errors.
Does the settings in the BIOS effect memtest? I need some good settings to even start testing out their stability.

My original 2 Sticks:
SKU F4-3000C15D-16GTZB
2x8GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-3000 @1.35V
-tCL = 15
-tRCD = 16
-tRP = 16
-tRAS = 35

The new 2 Sticks:
SKU F4-3200C16D-16GTZB
2x8GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-3200 @1.35V
-tCL = 16
-tRCD = 18
-tRP = 18
-tRAS = 38

falcon291

Honorable
Jul 17, 2019
Thank you for your advice so far.

I just bought another 16 GB of RAM so I dont run into these kind of problems.
I couldnt find my Original RAM Sticks anywhere so i had to buy just slightly different ones. They are from the same Series and just have different timings and speeds.
Obviously they dont work together that well, which is why i fail the RAM Test in Prime95.
Which settings should i use to get these 4 Sticks to work with each other?
I thought 3Ghz with the timings from the new sticks should work at best but i have trouble setting them up in the ASUS Bios.

I did run my Original RAM through memtest and didnt got any Errors.
Does the settings in the BIOS effect memtest? I need some good settings to even start testing out their stability.

My original 2 Sticks:
SKU F4-3000C15D-16GTZB
2x8GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-3000 @1.35V
-tCL = 15
-tRCD = 16
-tRP = 16
-tRAS = 35

The new 2 Sticks:
SKU F4-3200C16D-16GTZB
2x8GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-3200 @1.35V
-tCL = 16
-tRCD = 18
-tRP = 18
-tRAS = 38

You can try to lower the settings of these RAM to 3000 or even lower and try to find a stable configuration. But what you are trying is wrong and you should return or sell the new and older sticks and buy a 16x2 GB 3200 or higher speed RAM.

Feb 9, 2022
You can try to lower the settings of these RAM to 3000 or even lower and try to find a stable configuration. But what you are trying is wrong and you should return or sell the new and older sticks and buy a 16x2 GB 3200 or higher speed RAM.

Your propably right. But the additional 2 Sticks of RAM were dirt cheap. I dont care about really fast RAM. My System is 6 years old now. I just wanted to upgrade my ram. I did read that there should be a way to find stable settings. But if i cant get them to work i eventually will return the new sticks and sell my old ones and just buy a 2x16GB Kit.

falcon291

Honorable
Jul 17, 2019
Your propably right. But the additional 2 Sticks of RAM were dirt cheap. I dont care about really fast RAM. My System is 6 years old now. I just wanted to upgrade my ram. I did read that there should be a way to find stable settings. But if i cant get them to work i eventually will return the new sticks and sell my old ones and just buy a 2x16GB Kit.
Probably your RAM would work together in 2133 Mhz. But if you are gaming you would not want that.

Feb 9, 2022
Probably your RAM would work together in 2133 Mhz. But if you are gaming you would not want that.

Yeah thats true. Afer trying to get these Sticks to work with each other, i just realized that buying 2x16GB are actually cheaper (when i sell my old Sticks) then buying additional 2x8GB.
So im just going to return these and buy 32GB directly.
Thanks for your help.