only 16-bit

I just had to re-install Windows XP home edition on my
computer and it will only show the screen resolution at
16-bit color. The monitor is set as default, which
should be right but there is not way to change it. The
Properties button is not highlighted. Also the graphics
card is set as default and again there is no way to
change it. What do I do? I can hardly see anything on
the screen...

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Install the latest drivers for the monitor and video card.

"Aileen" <SgrWoman02@aol.com> wrote in message
> I just had to re-install Windows XP home edition on my
> computer and it will only show the screen resolution at
> 16-bit color. The monitor is set as default, which
> should be right but there is not way to change it. The
> Properties button is not highlighted. Also the graphics
> card is set as default and again there is no way to
> change it. What do I do? I can hardly see anything on
> the screen...

mala

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2001

Hi,

I understand that computer will reset the screen
resolution to only 16 bit.

To resolve the issue, contact your computer manufacturer
and update the BIOS. This will resolve the issue.

Regards
Mala

Do you remember what video drivers you were using before? I suggest you
go try to get windows to update the drivers. If you have a drivers disk
with the card or with the motherboard for an on board graphic chip try
to get it to update from that. There may alos be other drivers you need
to install for the motherboard (e.g Via chipsets upse several including
one for AGP. Otherwise go to the card manufacturers web site and
download and install the drivers. If the graphics chip is part of the
motherboard go to the motherboard manufacturers site, or as a fall back
the chip manufacturers site.