Question only 2 out of 4 drives show up (gpt/mbr issue i belive)

Jul 31, 2019
hi guys, heres my problem

i got a m.2ssd, a normal ssd, and 2 HDDs
i installed win10 and got asked if i want gpt or mbr on the m.2 and HDD1, i picked gpt, switched to uefi only and now i cant find the SSD and HDD2

when i enable Legacy+UEFI in bios i cant find any drives, cant boot into my installed win10 either

before installing windows, i found all 4 drives, so i know they are working

so now my question is, how do i get the SSD and HDD2 to work?

Many motherboards disable SATA ports when M.2 slots are occupied....

Your first step would be to avoid attempting to use the disabled SATA ports.

GPT is needed for drives over 2 TB.

If you have UEFI and secure boot enabled, and installed the OS in that mode, you may only see whichever drive had the OS installed when in that mode.....

If you want to see all drives in the boot menu for some reason, disable secure boot, and, fresh install when not in secure boot...

Multiple drives connected at time of install can cause some weird issues later, such as only being able to boot when all drives are connected. Best to disconnect the non-OS drives until after OS is installed.

Then of course, the added drives will need to be handled within admin tools/computer mngmt/storage/disk mngmt

Reactions: VoiTeC
Jul 31, 2019
fyi: i got 2x 2TB HDDs, which i wanted to configure a raid 0 on later

so basically, disconnect all drives/sata cables, disable secure boot, fresh install win10, shut down, connect the other drives, check/change boot order and there i go?

i need to format the m.2 before i can reinstall win10 on it(atleast thats what it told me when i thought about fresh installing win10 earlier), i have heard formatting SSDs isnt a great idea?

would it maybe be worth a try to convert the gpt drives to mbr?