[SOLVED] Only 2 ram slots work at a time

Vzh

Aug 27, 2021
So I recently found out that my computer hasn’t been using all of its ram, so after some reading and trial and error I have found that my computer only uses two sticks at a time. I have tested each ram stick and each dimm slot separately and everything works but if I put 3 or 4 ram sticks in, it will only use the two biggest sets of ram for example: if I place 2x4gb and 2x2gb it will only use 8gb and if I use 1x4gb and 2x2gb it will only use 6gb. I don’t know why this happens so if someone could help that would be much appreciated.

Motherboard: Asus p8z77-m
Ram: 2x2gb G.Skill ddr3-1600mhz,
2x4gb Crucial 2x4gb ddr3-1600mhz and
1x2gb G.Skill ddr3-1600mhz
Processor: Intel core 15-3570 3.40GHz

So I recently found out that my computer hasn’t been using all of its ram, so after some reading and trial and error I have found that my computer only uses two sticks at a time. I have tested each ram stick and each dimm slot separately and everything works but if I put 3 or 4 ram sticks in, it will only use the two biggest sets of ram for example: if I place 2x4gb and 2x2gb it will only use 8gb and if I use 1x4gb and 2x2gb it will only use 6gb. I don’t know why this happens so if someone could help that would be much appreciated.

Motherboard: Asus p8z77-m
Ram: 2x2gb G.Skill ddr3-1600mhz,
2x4gb Crucial 2x4gb ddr3-1600mhz and
1x2gb G.Skill ddr3-1600mhz
Processor: Intel core 15-3570 3.40GHz
Mixing ram can get iffy.
Get the latest bios...non-beta and test.

EyyMunchian

Honorable
Dec 28, 2016
Are you able to direct me to the exact ram modules you have? I don't wanna end it by saying "thats what happens when you mix and match ram" but this kinda looks like it. Same timings, same frequencies, latest mobo bios. Looks like you got an unfortunate situation. Could it be that one of the rams is broken or that the ram slot is bad? try testing all the rams separately as see if one doesn't work.

Vzh

Aug 27, 2021
Are you able to direct me to the exact ram modules you have? I don't wanna end it by saying "thats what happens when you mix and match ram" but this kinda looks like it. Same timings, same frequencies, latest mobo bios. Looks like you got an unfortunate situation. Could it be that one of the rams is broken or that the ram slot is bad? try testing all the rams separately as see if one doesn't work.
I’ve already tested each ram and ram slot and they all work. I even tested mixing the ram together and it’s fine for example 1x2gb and 1x4gb and they work together fine I just can’t get more than 8gb