Only 2 sata power cables!!

SomeRandyScrub

Prominent
May 16, 2017
Hello there, I am a big noob when it comes to pc building I wanted to build a pc because i thought it wascheaper than buying one and I thought it was fun, so I have a question about storage.
Ssds and hdds use some cable from the power supply called sata power cable right? Well if that is right, and if I know what a sata cable looks like then I am pretty sure that my psu came with only 2 of those cables, I am using an hdd and an ssd for my build, so when I started building I looked up a tutorial on how to apply my aio cooler ( nzxt kraken x52 ) and I used 1 sata cable which left me with one left so I inserted that into my hdd and then came the ssd in which nothing from the power supply fit into it, someone please help, as I am a noob (as you can see from what I am typing) i don't know what to do if I am right with all of this and you will tell me to buy like some sort of cable I cannot buy that since I spent every penny I have on this pc till the point where I can't spend 1 more dollar please help me! Psu : xfx pro750w 80+bronze

Solution
As you have heard you will have more than enough POWER connectors from your XFS ("PSU" - power supply unit) to power all your SATA devices, i.e., your SSDs & HDDs, as well as other components in your system

Don't confuse these power connectors with SATA DATA CONNECTORS. When you connect a HDD or SSD to your motherboard you connect a SATA data connector to the motherboard. The SATA power connector from the PSU connects directly to the drive. Capiche?

As an aside - as a general proposition one does not build his/her PC because it's "cheaper". By & large (there are some exceptions) a potential user can purchase a similar PC "off-the-shelf" for less money than he/she will expend building a "custom" PC. But the advantages - great...
As you have heard you will have more than enough POWER connectors from your XFS ("PSU" - power supply unit) to power all your SATA devices, i.e., your SSDs & HDDs, as well as other components in your system

Don't confuse these power connectors with SATA DATA CONNECTORS. When you connect a HDD or SSD to your motherboard you connect a SATA data connector to the motherboard. The SATA power connector from the PSU connects directly to the drive. Capiche?

As an aside - as a general proposition one does not build his/her PC because it's "cheaper". By & large (there are some exceptions) a potential user can purchase a similar PC "off-the-shelf" for less money than he/she will expend building a "custom" PC. But the advantages - great advantages! - in building your own desktop PC is that you can select the PRECISE components that YOU want, AND you learn about PCs and their operation in ways that you will never learn if you don't build your own PC, AND (although it can be frustrating at times, especially for a new builder), you gain a source of satisfaction that simply cannot be duplicated by purchasing a "ready-made" machine.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS