Only 280 W PSU in Lenovo PC?

Oct 9, 2018
Hello. I am thinking of buying the "Lenovo Legion Y520-Tower". I am going to use it mostly for gaming, but also watching some YouTube and just surfing. I will use the model with a GTX 1060 3GB, Intel I5-8400, 8 GB RAM and 256 GB SSD. I am going to buy it from a Swedish shop, since that's where I live. I am a bit concerned though. In some cases, the PSU is only 280 W. Is that even enough these days? If not, why is Lenovo selling a PC where the PSU is so bad? Won't that hurt the PC? I am not that into Pc's, that's why I'm not building my own.

Solution
According to the official specs, that prebuilt PC can come with:"up to 450W" PSU,
link: https://www.lenovo.com/gb/en/desktops-and-all-in-ones/legion-desktops/legion-y-series-desktops/Legion-Y520-Desktop/p/99LE9Y50275

In other words, if the specs would be Core i3/i5 with GTX 1050 Ti, you'd see 280W PSU in it since GTX 1050 Ti is 75W GPU and rest of the system would be at 150W or so, making the max power draw about 225W or so, where 280W PSU would be enough.
But if the specs would be Core i5/i7 with GTX 1060 3GB, you'd see 450W PSU in it. GTX 1060 3GB is 120W GPU and rest of the system would be at 200W or so, making the max power draw about 320W or so, where 450W PSU would be enough.

As far as prebuilt PCs in general go, they all are...

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
According to the official specs, that prebuilt PC can come with:"up to 450W" PSU,
link: https://www.lenovo.com/gb/en/desktops-and-all-in-ones/legion-desktops/legion-y-series-desktops/Legion-Y520-Desktop/p/99LE9Y50275

In other words, if the specs would be Core i3/i5 with GTX 1050 Ti, you'd see 280W PSU in it since GTX 1050 Ti is 75W GPU and rest of the system would be at 150W or so, making the max power draw about 225W or so, where 280W PSU would be enough.
But if the specs would be Core i5/i7 with GTX 1060 3GB, you'd see 450W PSU in it. GTX 1060 3GB is 120W GPU and rest of the system would be at 200W or so, making the max power draw about 320W or so, where 450W PSU would be enough.

As far as prebuilt PCs in general go, they all are overpriced and in most of times, you can build better performing PC with the same amount of money. Also, PSU build quality in the prebuilt PCs is questionable and if i'd had prebuilt PC, 1st thing i'd do would be replacing PSU for a known good quality unit.
Though, buying all the components by yourself means that you need to assemble your PC by your own, including OS install (or pay someone to assemble it for you). PC assemble may be viewed as downside, especially if you don't know how to put it all together. But PC enthusiasts (myself included) love to assemble their own PCs.

Solution