Only 3% left space on my pc

xpx

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2011
Hello,

As you can see i've only 3% of space left on my pc.Considering that,is it posible to defrag my pc?
Because when i've tried it's asking me for 15% space.
My pc is Windows Xp Home edition 2002.it's very slow,sometimes when's trying to open a web page i feel like taking my own life(only kidding ;-))
I'm sorry about any mistakes i've made trying to explain this in 2nd language.
Thank you
XPX

farrengottu

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011
try disk clean up first, its in the start menu under programs, accessories, system tools.
you would be surprised how much crap windows will hold on to.
uninstalling programs you dont use anymore will help too.

now you can defrag with less than 15% free but it will be much much slower. all you really need is enough space for the largest file it wants to move.

Windows needs space to copy a file to it's new location before deleting the previous space. For that, you need some extra temporary space.

1) Go to accessories and run disk cleanup first.

2) Don't forget to empty the recycle bin.

3) You might want to install a file space mapping app to discover where large unneeded files may exist.

xpx

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2011
I've done all that farengottu has suggested ,no change

i used Win Dir Stat from sammsoft they call it ARO no change still 3% only left(actually less i think their tool took some space),i'll ask for my money back

Rycle bin is empty i 've cleaned Disk

it seems to me Defraging is not possible with only 3% left space.I have done it with this amount and it is slow,it doesn't bother me but, the problem is that after defrag with 3% there is no change what so ever. :cry:

i am contaplating buying a new PC

Why not just buy a larger hard drive?

If your pc is a desktop,
You can get a 1tb WD black for $80 or so.
It will be considerably faster with lots of space.

If you have a laptop, with a small hard drive, consider replacing it with a SSD.
It will be a bit expensive per gb, but it will absolutely transform the laptop.

You can use a cloning program like acronis to clone a smaller drive to a larger one.

Zenthar

Distinguished
Win Dir Stat is supposed to be free and it only helps you identify what is taking space on you HDD so you can delete stuff. If everything on your HDD is "necessary" and you have no more space left, then you simply have a too small HDD :-/